Gearboxes, ratios and other whirly-cog related stuff.....

Buggybloke

Hi all,
Currently I'm running a 1275cc (Stage 1), and my final drive ratio is 2.95:1, in a gearbox which is ok, except it sometimes jumps out of 2nd when changing down, and is a little 'notchy' in 1st gear. I'm running on 13" wheels with 205/60/13 tyres... grip is phenomenal, in the dry, and 'entertaining' on wet roads! I have done a little bit of greenlaning/off-roading with this set-up, and it seems to cope ok. I find though, on motorways with longish uphill sections, I sometimes have to change down to 3rd gear to keep my momentum/speed. At 2750-3000rpm on the flat, my Blitz2 will cruise comfortably at 70mph. As a 'cure' for the jumping out of gear, I've just bought off evilbay, another gearbox, complete with drive pot/joints, and diff, with 3.44:1 final drive.... all for the princely sum of £15.00!, I know, I know, 'buyer beware', and all that, but the box looks only lightly oil-stained inside, no evidence of any leaks around the usual areas on the outside, there are no signs of any hard wear on the teeth, and there doesn't seem to be any chipped teeth either, and for the most of it, the outer surface of the casing is VERY, VERY, clean with no oxidisation of the alloy at all.
Can any one tell me what effect the change in final drive will give me, (yeah, I know it'll be lower geared slightly, but by how much?). For more serious off-road use I have a set of 12" steel Hillman Imp wheels with 155/12 Mud/Snow type tyres, which appear to be the same height as my current wheel/tyre combination. Waiting for collection at a mates I also have a set of 14" steels from a Rover 200, to which I'll be fitting some 14", 'Knobblies', as my other mate has called them,... any one know if the Rover wheels are the same stud pattern as a mini?... they look very similar....
Last question......for now, -is there a way to idendify how old a mini gearbox is, by the code numbers stamped on/cast into its outer casing? I have the engine number that it was fixed to, if that gives any clues....... :-\

Buggybloke

I've already been looking at that site, as I wanted to check what happened when I temporarily replaced my buggered 3.1:1 gearbox with a 2.95:1 box, (this was what was originally on my buggy when I 1st got it, with it's 998cc engine... and it could hardly pull 3rd gear at all unless on a dead-flat road, with no wind..... so I put in the engine I now have fitted, which went well until the circa 80-90000 mile old diff spat it's dummy out and broke its pinion shaft :eek:,... in a carpark, at less than walking pace! (-which was probably a good thing! :'().
Agreed, it is a helpful site, but I'm assuming that the figures shown are for a mini, which weighs considerably more than my Blitz2 does (580kgs, with me and 1/2 tank of fuel)....

Mini Mad Max

I don't think it takes into account the weight or aerodynamic drag of the mini, just the maths involved with ratios and speed of engine revolution. Each mini weighs slightly different. So i think it should be a pretty accurate representation.
Max