got an urge to biuld another buggy

Baloo

Quite fancy a Jimny for just knocking around in, but they are usually rotted out, or stupid money

l think jimnys are fantastic little things will run rings around a landrover offroad but you summed it up perfectly they rot faster than a fast thing and if you go for a newer one thats not rotten you will need very deep pockets, but i still love em, i have 6 :oops: in various states of rotted , bits missing or awaiting a rebuild, so unless you enjoy welding rust and underseal your going to have to stump up some serious dosh, but as much as i like them they dont really make any sense as a daily driver, apart from the mentioned rust problem they are terrible on fuel insurance can be steep road tax is high and they cant tow very much, landrovers have their place, towing a trailer full of sheep to market at 60mph no problem throw a bag of crisps in a suzuki and its close to over weight, you really need a reason to be offroad to have a jimny unless you like wasting money on fuel, 20 something to the gallon where as my fiesta diesel is doing over 60 to the gallon

but all that said they make a great base for a project, im building a little rock crawler/buggy out of one or at least the chassis off one im swapping the axles to sj as they are stronger and i have a pair with arb air lockers in , ive shortened the chassis down to under 80"

screenshot_740.png

i had it shot blasted and primed as i dont like underseal lol, then as i found some green paint left over from another project it went all greeny

screenshot_766.pngscreenshot_766.png
screenshot_739.png
screenshot_768.png

for motivation it started off having a pug diesel engine and box from a 306 turned round the other way and fitted at the front to give me a further reduction of 4 to 1

screenshot_769.png

but in my quest to be as light as possible i have since bought a K series engine out of a metro, think its 1100cc the early version with an SU carb nice and simples so thats going in and the pug is coming back out
im going to roll some tube to form the roll cage best way i can describe it is egg shaped a bit like this
screenshot_770.png

obviously as i have shortened the chassis its offroad only but you would be hard pressed to see where ive shortened it

just need to get my garage at home finished so i can bring a few of my projects home and get on with them

Phaeton

Staff member
We have a Shogun, I say we, as I bought it, own it, insure it, pay the VED on it, but it lives at my daughters house 3/4 mile away, that's a 20mpg 3.2 diesel, but it does the job it was bought for, moves the trailer full of horse crap to the local allotments, the horse/pony to the vet/dentist whenever needed, gets filled with horse/pony feed, tows the car trailer etc. it's on standard road tyres but it's never been stuck, although I may now have tempted fate.

I just need something to bomb up to the field to let them out, be able to chuck a bike on the back & go off somewhere, economy isn't that much of an issue as it'll be sub 2K a year, I also fancy a Proton Jumbuck, but they are the same, either rotted out or stupid money. I should buy a Pug 207 £20 VED & 60mpg but I just can't get that excited about buying one.

Baloo

We have a Shogun, I say we, as I bought it, own it, insure it, pay the VED on it, but it lives at my daughters house 3/4 mile away, that's a 20mpg 3.2 diesel, but it does the job it was bought for, moves the trailer full of horse crap to the local allotments, the horse/pony to the vet/dentist whenever needed, gets filled with horse/pony feed, tows the car trailer etc. it's on standard road tyres but it's never been stuck, although I may now have tempted fate.

I just need something to bomb up to the field to let them out, be able to chuck a bike on the back & go off somewhere, economy isn't that much of an issue as it'll be sub 2K a year, I also fancy a Proton Jumbuck, but they are the same, either rotted out or stupid money. I should buy a Pug 207 £20 VED & 60mpg but I just can't get that excited about buying one.
jimny's dont bomb anywhere unless its off a cliff lol, 1300cc dosent tow much, shogun sounds like a better bet to me

i always fancied one

of these but never fell over one cheap

screenshot_868.png

Phaeton

Staff member
Bought it knowing it had overheating problems, thinking it's got to be thermostat, water pump or radiator all real easy as they are at the front of the engine. But no, who in their right mind puts the thermostat underneath the inlet manifold!!!

6 hours to removed radiator, water pump, thermostat & put them back together again

Baloo

we
Bought it knowing it had overheating problems, thinking it's got to be thermostat, water pump or radiator all real easy as they are at the front of the engine. But no, who in their right mind puts the thermostat underneath the inlet manifold!!!

6 hours to removed radiator, water pump, thermostat & put them back together again
ll i hope that cures it for you so you can zip about in it, actually its hard to zip about with 1300cc , not the quickest thing on the planet, l always thought they needed a 2 lt engine and box out of something else or perhaps the 2.5 v6 out of a vitara

Last edited:

Phaeton

Staff member
we

ll i hope that cures it for you so you can zip about in it, actually its hard to zip about with 1300cc , not the quickest thing on the planet, l always thought they needed a 2 lt engine and box out of something else or perhaps the 2.5 v6 out of a vitara
I went up the field in it this morning as it was absolutely hissing it down here, we must have had 3-4 inches of rain overnight, only a mile each way, it did what it was supposed to do, but I'm not sure I'd want to be going too quickly in one, it seems quite skittish. It's been lifted 2 inches, some say that you have to add camber bolts if you lift but many of the kids don't, so wondering if it's that. Or as the salesman says 'They all do that Sir!'

It's being picked up on Thursday to go for it's MOT, the lad has had Vitara's, SJ's not sure about Jimny's but he'll know if it's right or not

Baloo

Maybe lol
It came on a vitara chassis but my pal has a discovery 3 with no engine and box going very very cheap and l quite fancy using that as it has air suspension

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy you don't have a pair of spare front radius arms for a Jimny do you, I'm wanting to put new bushes in before I take the old ones off, just in case they a re barstools to get out. Or know somebody up this way with a pair, they can have my old ones back once swapped over if they want.

Baloo

Andy you don't have a pair of spare front radius arms for a Jimny do you, I'm wanting to put new bushes in before I take the old ones off, just in case they a re barstools to get out. Or know somebody up this way with a pair, they can have my old ones back once swapped over if they want.

Yep have some you can "borrow" or your welcome to bring yours down and use my hydraulic press
Which ever way you want

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy I'll pay postage both ways, it'll be the easiest way, if you're happy to sort them out, unless of course you're out on another adventure soon?

Are you still at the same place Matt picked up the Lexus from you? He might be passing

Baloo

Workshop is a mile or so away from where he picked up Lexus but can leave them just inside the gate there if he is passing, I am possibly going up to just North of Nottingham in the next couple of weeks in trying to buy another buggy shell but he can't decide if he wants to sell

Phaeton

Staff member
Workshop is a mile or so away from where he picked up Lexus but can leave them just inside the gate there if he is passing, I am possibly going up to just North of Nottingham in the next couple of weeks in trying to buy another buggy shell but he can't decide if he wants to sell
Okay, he's not back at work until next Tuesday & has no clue as to where he's going, but he seems to get around, or we can see how your haggling goes & I can meet you there