Greetings!

Lilspeed

Hi guys,

I'm Justin, and I'm hoping to start my Freestyle build later this summer when I've got another little project tidied up.
I've wanted a Freestyle since chatting to the pre-funbuggies manufacturer of the kits at Castle Combe mini day many many years ago. A few years later another mini-mad mate got hold of a part built Freestyle, with a pretty mad specced 1293 engine in it and an LSD which we got going and had some fun running up the drag strip at Mini Showdown. It was through this mate and his buggy I became friends with Dave Smart, and the buggy temptation started to grow stronger. After a european road trip in 2007 following Dave in the first LHD Freestyle with my mini the deal was sealed and I knew I had to have one, but until recently I've never had sufficient funds to spend on a "weekend toy".
Since then the mad 1293 buggy changed hands to another mate, which we then built up to road spec and this is now an ongoing project, with a straight-cut, blow-through supercharged lump going in soon.
It was at Beaulieu Mini Cooper day last year that I spotted a part built Freestyle coming in the gate on a trailer with a For Sale sign on it. Well, the money was in the bank, the guy said he'd deliver, so within 20 mins a deal was done!
It's been sat in the corner of my workshop gathering dust ever since due to a commitment to do a light restoration on a friend's mini. This is now nearing completion, and I'm absolutely itching to start work on the buggy!
I'm an engineer by trade, and I know minis inside out so I'm hoping to make a fairly decent, (but quick! Roadworthy by next summer?) job of it.

So, I've been lurking on the forum for a while now, there seems to be a wealth of useful stuff on here and hopefully I can add to it during my build!

Phaeton

Staff member
Welcome to the forum, mmm by next summer, that will put a few regular's to shame who are just SLACKERS  ;D

Alan...

Steves2580

Hello and welcome to the fun house!!

Sounds like you've got great plans! I wish you the best of luck with your build, make sure you get a build thread up and running!!

I'm looking forward to seeing your build, no pressure, but have you started one yet??

Steve.

Mini Mad Max

Hello and welcome :) If you are aiming for next summer then you will undoubtedly catch me up in no time at all as I am one of the "Slackers" mentioned above, personally I prefer being called motivationally challenged :p Also Blow through supercharged a series is high on my list of dream engines for my car when I could possibly afford to up the spec in the distant future, I look forward to hearing about how that turns out. You should get your friend on here too!
Max

Steve

Welcome to the site, if you get it finished it time that will be another one for the road trip.
Steve

Lilspeed

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll definitely get a build thread going when I actually make some progress. ;D

A road trip in the buggy sounds awesome. Seriously motivated to get stuck in now, and really looking forward to doing something other than welding up rusty old minis too!

I'm afraid my mate with the supercharger hasn't joined the computer age yet! But I'll happily keep you guys posted on that one too.

So has no-one actually got one through an IVA yet then? I'm aware of the fuel tank issue, but I may have some crafty ideas for that. ;)

Skirrow

Don't think anyone has put one through the IVA yet. I was going to have a go but I just bought a road legal one in the end. Sure it's quite possible though if you get the fuel tank sorted.

Danny

Administrator
Ones been IVA'd  not heard from them personally yet though..

Welcome along though.. I reckon I seen your one do the strip is it the one that was only running on 3 cylinders?

Danny

Lilspeed

Danny":5k1c9u1q said:
I reckon I seen your one do the strip is it the one that was only running on 3 cylinders?

If it was an orange frame, then yes that was the one! I think it's on one of Dave's Youtube vids. I believe that was with it's first owner, apparently one of the tappet nuts came loose.

When we ran it it went really well off the line, I have video somewhere of it lifting the front wheels as the clutch was dropped. It only ran in the 15s though as it was running a ridiculously low FD ratio because of the LSD, and topped out at around 80mph. The timing slip showed it got to 80 in around 6 seconds IIRC.