Hello all

Baloo

hello boys I haven't been around much whos still around then ? lockdown is giving me cabin fever, been thinking about a new buggy
anyone want to discuss how what sort etc ?
Andy

ChaosMS

Andy - good to see you back, always happy to talk about buggies!! - what are you thinking??
Rich

Baloo

Morning Rich good to see your still around
I was thinking something quick ish and simple to build so I can play with it this summer, don't really want to be building A arms and starting from scratch so the 3 things that pop in to my head are buy and old mgf and reuse the subframes and drive train as I did before or maybe use mazda mx5 suspensions front and rear as they are all self contained and really easy to incorporate into a space frame ( and I have some )
or take something like a Suzuki Vitara rolling chassis and make a bolt on tube frame not over keen on keeping the Vitara engine as its so tall and sits up high above the front diff maybe a V8 mounted further back and much lower down so I can have a nice low bonnet line, or maybe a Subaru engine as its nice and low ??? will find some pictures later thanks Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Hi Andy, quite bizarre I was looking for you number before the lock down, wanted to know if you had still got the pipe bender, I was thinking of copying your MGF buggy but trying to go the whole hog & IVA it, but I've gone off in a different direction now.

Alan..

Baloo

Hi Alan how you doing
yes I still have the tube bender although I have lost one of the plates so need to get another one cut if anyone knows a lazer cutter ?
your welcome to borrow when Ive replaced the missing plate

so what are you up to then ? I might do something similar to before just for use in the field

Andy

Baloo

the mgf based one

Attachments

• screenshot_224.png
    screenshot_224.png
    393.4 KB · Views: 5,213
  • screenshot_225.png
    screenshot_225.png
    364.3 KB · Views: 5,213
  • screenshot_226.png
    screenshot_226.png
    403 KB · Views: 5,213

Phaeton

Staff member
Always liked what you did with that MGF Andy, was going to go down that route, but then add extra caging over the top like the Freestyle, put a fuel tank in the front subframe & then build aluminium bonnet for it.Only thing I wouldn't have bothered to do was curve the back rail, would be bigger than the Freestyle but you'd have more room & sit more square, which was one of the issues I was starting to face.

wagon_1.0

nice to hear from you baloo

i still have good intentions but no progress :D

could do with sparking up a few build threads :)

Baloo

wagon_1.0":1e0x0b0r said:
nice to hear from you baloo

i still have good intentions but no progress :D

could do with sparking up a few build threads :)

Hi wagon come on get biulding now is the time lol

Baloo

Phaeton":3qxd7d4p said:
Always liked what you did with that MGF Andy, was going to go down that route, but then add extra caging over the top like the Freestyle, put a fuel tank in the front subframe & then build aluminium bonnet for it.Only thing I wouldn't have bothered to do was curve the back rail, would be bigger than the Freestyle but you'd have more room & sit more square, which was one of the issues I was starting to face.

Hi Alan
Yes i enjoyed biulding that one should never have sold it ...
And yes it has to be bigger than a freestyle comfort has to come into it dosent it
And if you going road legal then you got to have carrying capacity
I will sort out in the next few days what im going to build
Cheers Andy

Baloo

Phaeton":az98j9r2 said:

Hi Alan thanks or that interesting but to far away to pickup at the moment and besides its still a freestyle size which is to small for me im 6'4" and find them cramped if you make it a one seater lol If I could live size small I have a road registered blitz 2 in the barn need a rebuild :-\

so ive narrowed it down to mx5 based or Vitara based will pick one over the weekend

Baloo

mx5 based would just use the front and rear suspension frames which every thin bolts to and then just make up a chassis to join them up

Attachments

• screenshot_58.png
    screenshot_58.png
    769.5 KB · Views: 5,183
  • screenshot_59.png
    screenshot_59.png
    265.8 KB · Views: 5,183
  • screenshot_60.png
    screenshot_60.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 5,183

Baloo

you get the jist

Attachments

• screenshot_86.png
    screenshot_86.png
    292.1 KB · Views: 4,508
  • screenshot_90.png
    screenshot_90.png
    570.3 KB · Views: 4,508

Baloo

or I go down the route of using an unmodified Vitara chassis which would keep its id and be road legal if I wanted it to be

Attachments

• screenshot_19.png
    screenshot_19.png
    505.8 KB · Views: 4,508
  • screenshot_20.png
    screenshot_20.png
    391.2 KB · Views: 4,508
  • screenshot_21.png
    screenshot_21.png
    432.9 KB · Views: 4,508

Danny

Administrator