Hello to You!

CAW

I thought I'd better say Hi,

Been looking around for a little while, I'm buying Allans buggy which he got of a lad here, It's a freestyle copy I belive, It's only a off-road toy to tinker with and some fun with.

I hav'nt got it yet, another chap off here, Andy Baloo will be doing some welding for me, I know that theres no gear linkage ( the long bent bar) with It.

So Is there any sizes for the bar used, and where to bend bar for the bends, another thing Is i cant get my head around what clamps that to the gear stick.

I've been looking at the photos of the cars, but none show any of how the gear linkage is fixed, must be a secret ;D

Sorry for been more than an intro, but thanks for any input.

Andy

Danny

Administrator
Hello Andy,

Welcome to the forum. I have  no idea what the the thickness of the steel is and I am miles away from my buggy to check.

Is that the freestyle that was made up north? By someone in their garage?

All the best

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
Hi Andy welcome over to Muddybuggies, from the dark side  ;D

As I said over on the 'other' forum it's quite a simple idea once you get your head around the concept, I will try to explain it.

If you think about the set-up in a Mini the gear selector rod comes out of the back of the gearbox & is then linked to the bottom of the gearstick with a straight rod. As you go forward with the stick (1st & 3rd) it pulls the rod backwards & as you pull back (2nd & 4th) it pushes the rod forward. Moving the stick between 1st & 2nd & 3rd & 4th twists the rod.

In the Freestyle we swap the long rod out of the front & put it in the back & take the short out the back & put it in the front. But if you then think about it logically nothing has changed, the rod moves in exactly the same way forward/backwards & twisting. By adding the Shepherd's crook it then takes the movement to the gearbox in the way it is expecting to receive it.

Hopefully that explains it a little better. TBH when you actually see it in practise it is quite simple, don't want to muddy the waters, but if you have seen the old explanation where the bottom plate & then the whole gearchange unit turned round THAT was confusing.

@Danny it's Biddle's brother Bodger's green meany.

Alan...

Steves2580

Hello Andy,
Welcome to the forum!
I have yet to see Bodger's green meany, get some pictures up as soon as you get it home!!

Steve.

CAW

Thanks for the welcome guys, thanks Alan for the Info there at least some idea of how it works now, as said not seen buggy in the flesh yet, and it's red and black the same colour as on this website.

Not sure about the green meany bit lol.

So what fixes it together is like male/ female connection or a clamp fitting gadget, anyway that will be sometime off :'(

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy,

Sorry looks like I got my wires crossed, it's clearly not the buggy I thought it was, I thought it was Steve's (Biddleboy on here) from Kidderminster brothers buggy, which was a sort of Freestyle copy, that was painted green hence the name.

Alan...

Steve

Hi and welcome.
Where are you based as there has got to be someone close to you so you can have a look at the linkage.
Steve

CAW

Hi Steve,

I'm based in Manchester, good idea  :), I hav'nt got the buggy yet as Andy (Baloo) is doing some welding on it when he can fit it in, but it would good to get to see a gear linkage, or if not get sizes of rod used and lenghts to bends so to make one.

The buggy is around 100 miles away at the moment so I cant tell you much about it.

Ceers

Andy

herman

Andy.
Welcome to the forum.
Have you got any photos of your buggy yet?
You mentioned its a Freestyle copy. It could be an Onyx Tomcat.
Post a photo if you can or email it.
If you need any help. I,ve got an Onyx on the road and work in Manchester.
I live in Chester and if you need to your more than welcome to have a look.  ::)

Cheers Colin

CAW

Thanks for the welcome guys,

The only photos are on here, If you find boger123 threads he links to photobucket for his photos., i'll find it and put it up. found it ;) http://photobucket.com/dave_060

It's not at my home addy yet, Andy Baloo Is doing some welding on it when he gets chance for me, It will just be used off-road when sorted

Thanks for the offer, might just take you up on that 8)

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy, There is a member in Manchester, somewhere near the airport if my memory serves me. He's very rarely seen on here & not sure he ever finished the buggy, but you could send him a PM he may pick it up. His username is Skirrow.

On another note if you ever get over to the nice side of the hill, I'm not far outside Sheffield.

Alan...

CAW

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that info, It's early days yet but hopfully it will be a budget build, just to have some fun on private farm land.

Are you N  S  E  W of Meadowhall for a clue  :D Al.

cheers

Andy

CAW

:'( lol, but am I still welcome here for info,or is it a taboo buggy, jokin by the way

Andy

Danny

Administrator
Yes of course CAW you welcome here.... its not a problem at all, I mean we let blitz owners in so you have nothing to worry about ;-)

Danny