HELP WITH VOSA

woofy

HI CAN ANYBODY OUT THERE HELP ME!
JUST HAD A LETTER BACK FROM VOSA STATEING THAT I NEED PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE OF MY BUILD AND RECEIPTS OF ALL MAJOR PARTS BOUGHT.

I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START OR EVEN IF I HAVE ENOUGH EVIDENCE TO BACK MYSELF UP

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Phaeton

Staff member
Tell them you haven't kept any of the receipts, do you have any photographs at all? They're apparently looking to see that it was built at home by an amateur. You could ask them where in their documentation it mentions any of this.

Alan....

hmalan

I was asked for the same information.

I sent them a few photo's of the buggy during the build and a few receipts that i had, literally was a few as I had not kept most of mine.

Alan

esdebe

Scribble on a piece of paper "Sold as Seen" and a value, and say that it was a reciept for the donor.

Then ask dave to send you a reciept for the frame, he sent me mine in an email.

That is all the major parts covered.

Normaly it is the DVLA that want the reciepts when you Register it so the can prove the age for getting a new plate / q plate or age related...

As for build photos, what colour is your car? Between us we may be able to find some photos to suit.... The other options is to take close up photos of parts, remove seats, and take photos of the seatbelt mounts, and the gear linkage. Take photos of the stearing rack mounts, photos from under of the brake fittings / suspension at the front from the floor, if you do close ups they won't know it is from a finished car.

Then take some photos from somone who got a bare (un painted / powder coated) frame and add that to the portfolio, I should have one some where. On my build page.

http://www.esdebe.co.uk/buggy/build_images/index.html
http://www.esdebe.co.uk/buggy/diary/index.html

iank

I've heard it's a new guy at VOSA who's decided that to get amateur build status you need to prove it rather than just declare it (for some value of prove).

Receipts are fairly easy, but allegedly a robin hood owner had to dismantle his car and rebuild it taking pictures to get the proof. Despite there being no clear mention anywhere I can find of the requirement to take pictures during the build, what he's looking at is not really any real building of the kit, but a series of photos showing a couple of stages with a domestic looking garage in the background. If you're building it in a unit or move between garages you have a problem.

The section he's using to justify this on the application form is the 'supportive documents' for a one-off build.

Phaeton

Staff member
What Ian says appears to be correct I was at VOSA yesterday & heard the same stories. They appear to have a new guy at Swansea flexing his muscles, he apparently has a downer on small concerns building cars for people & then letting the owner SVA them. So he's wanting people to prove they have built them themselves,

Offer to let him come inspect your premises & the buggy on site & show him your range of tools. If he still refuses to give you an appointment for SVA I would then consider a trip to a solicitor.

Alan...

woofy

thanks guys
went through pay pal account last night and found aload of stuff ihave bought for kit car so i printed off a dozen receipts from pay pal plus the one i had off dave for the chassis ,as for photos all the ones i had of the build we lost on the computer so i took some more with wheels o n and off nose cone off some close ups , posted it back to day so we will just have to see they didnt send the cheque back so may be
steve wet west wales .

wurzell

In my experience, they NEVER send your cheques back!
I'm still owed £20 from Swansea for a (legal) logbook application, that THEY referred to the Police Stolen Vehicle Department as being for a "vehicle of indeterminate origin", which was subsequently proved as being a legitimate application.....Two years on, I'm still waiting.......
Cash it first, ask questions later, NEVER give refunds...

woofy

hi all
HAD PHONE CALL FROM VOSA TODAY OFFERING ATEST DATE FOR WED 2ND OF JULY 8AM IN LLANTRISANT CARDIFF SO FINGERS CROSSED ITS 90 MILES EACH WAY
STEVE WET N WINDY WEST WALES :)

Phaeton

Staff member
You driving, trailering or towing?

Make sure you take lots of extra trim etc. just in case, another thing you could do is take loads of photos & put them on photobucket, we can then have a look & se if there are any gotcha's that we can help with.

Alan..

Phaeton

Staff member
Steve,

Image kitcar002-2 you'll need something on the edges between the mirrors & the stalks, I've used a universal steering gaiter in the past.

Image kitcar003-1 the rear reflectors on the rear guards might not be vertical enough, although there is no specific angle, when I took mine he deemed them too horizontal. The top shock absorber mount will need trim on both top edges. The 4 bolts that hold the engine cover on, are they normal bolts or dome heads? bit difficult to see. {Edit on later images you may have this covered}

Image kitcar011-1 the bottom of your perspex dash needs to be radius 19mm or 38mm diameter, you look a long way off. Measure up from the seat base (where your arse goes) 150mm & put a spirit level towards the steering rack, HMalan's universal on the steering column came into play but he had bolted the seats direct to the floor, not sure if you have runners.

Other one I couldn't see from the images is the edge at the bottom of the headlight mountings, bit difficult to cover but I managed to cut down some trim.

Hope that helps, but other than that nice looking buggy.

Alan...

woofy

hi alan not sure what umean about dash made out of stainless and just put edgeing on it,rear engine cover normal hex bolts with plasic covers , mirrors no problem,-
steve

woofy

thanks looks like i need to mak anew dash tonight out what i dont no unless u can see away of mod this one.
thanks steve sunny west wales

Phaeton

Staff member
We got away with putting on some pipe lagging which I just happened to have in the back of the car when MattBlack's failed. He wasn't hugely impressed but passed it. But if you could get some & cover it in material & make a proper job I'm sure it would be more acceptable, remember it only has to last 4 hours.

Alan..

esdebe

Looking good, but there are a few things they may not like....

Using pipe lagging for applications where it wasn't intended (eg bottom arms... To be honnest youra are all out of the reach thaks to the bumpers so should mr SVA man complain just cut them off and he can't test them anyway.

Is the fog light at least 10cm from the brake light?

Are the brake hoses from teh MC to the reseviour maked up as being suitible ??

If you get an SVA man like mine the Stearing wheel will fail as it has no impact absorption feature in it or the OUTER colum You could argue that it is very weel padded or get a colapsable boss and an after market wheel.

Is ther a bit of garden hose that everything is cable tied too at the front? They frown on materials be used that are not normaly used by the automotive indusrty and may cause them to take a closer look.

As Alan said on the dash it needs to be a biger radius on the bottom egde, but again depending on the SVA centre they may not accept lagging being used.

The red fuel lines look nice but are they marked as being suitable?

The buttons on the dash, are the a mix of older and newer ones? I had a 1989 donor, and had to file down the corners on the buttons to make them the right radius to pass, teh Rover version from teh Nineties had the acceptable radius, also the brake symbol needs to be a recoginisable one.

I hope this helps,

Simon

woofy

thanks guys made a new temp dash tonight ,green hose is covering steel rod to support cables ,brake pipe ok ,fuel pipe ok, will ceck switchs tomorrow some of u say cover bottom arms some say dont so what does one do thanks
steve west wales

hmalan

Woofy,

One of the reasons you will get differing advice from us is that differant stations, and differant testers at the same station have differant ideas.

Take the example of steering wheels, Alan (Phaeton), Matt Black and myself all had the exact same steering wheel and collapsible boss. Theirs both passed with regard to the steering wheel spoke edges as it comes, yet for mine it was stated as a fail point so Alan (who took my buggy for the SVA) had to put edging trim around the spokes.

They were all three tested at the same centre.

Comments I was going to make, which already have been made by others were around the dash radius and switches.