i'm squirting

hi, i have a question, i have a mini spares "super two core" rad. i have the water pump with the casting on it not the pressed steel rota. i have replaced the thermostat with the brass collar you can get. have the midget fan on as well, i don't have any cooling issue and the needle never goes past the mid point on the gauge.

my problem; when i sit at traffic lights and when i pull up and turn the engine off, coolant is escaping from the overflow pipe on the rad.

have checked the seal of the rad cap and seems ok. it has 15 Lbs stamped on it ( i'm guessing this is lifting pressure). is this the right one?

does anyone have any surgestions wot the hell is going on? :cry:

p.s. engine is never running hot when coolant is escaping

Phaeton

Staff member
Are you overfilling the Rad? You should just be able to see the water above the core, if you fill it right up to the top when it heat soaks if will push some water out. You could add a bottle to the overflow temporarily to make sure it isn't losing water each time.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
"mines got a bonnet"":i772odny said:
mine has 15 Lbs on it, do they all?
Not sure but mine does as well

I just used a pop bottle, a clear one so i could see the fluid & then drilled a hole in the cap just a little bit bigger than the pipe. Make sure the pipe is all the way in then it will suck back the fluid when it cools.

Alan...

sorted by little over flow problem. fitted a kids bike bottle on end of overflow pipe and found i was loosing shed loads. got new pressure cap from halfords and cleaned up seat area of rad neck. instant fix. did 80 mile journey and not a drop went into the bottle. seems to get up to normal running temp quicker as well.

thanks for advice on bottle alan. - think it was alan anyway.