Is this in the right place???

jason_l

Hi Everyone,

Well today i got the buggy moved to its new home for the next 2 months, My work's workshop! Now i have so much room to get on with it.

Anyway today i have been looking at getting the pedal box into the car, got it all welded up and pedals just chucked onto it as they are. Have fitted the master cylinders onto it in the correct position but what i want to know is do i have the pedal box fitted to the car in the correct place????

ignore the throttle pedal as this will change to match the others later  ;D

I have just tacked the pedal box in place and if you guys think it looks right i will properly weld it fully tomorrow. Have a look at the pics and tell me what you guys think?

I have looked through lots of pictures of others buggies and the pedal box seems to be in a different position on a few of them so don't know if it really matters?????

many thanks..........sorry for the quality they where taken with my phone  ;D

2884_191420790472_587840472_6555348_6646775_n.jpg

2884_191420810472_587840472_6555349_52988_n.jpg

2884_191420815472_587840472_6555350_6526578_n.jpg

2884_191420820472_587840472_6555351_4787418_n.jpg

2884_191420825472_587840472_6555352_2273667_n.jpg

2884_191420830472_587840472_6555353_6284547_n.jpg

2884_191420845472_587840472_6555355_2149746_n.jpg

And here is just a quick one to show how much room i now have to work on the buggy, sorry couldn't resist  ;D

2884_191420775472_587840472_6555346_150032_n.jpg

Jason :p

Phaeton

Staff member
Looks right to me, I don't think there is a 'right' place just as long as you can get to the pedals it's okay.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":1knbaetr said:
Looks right to me, I don't think there is a 'right' place just as long as you can get to the pedals it's okay.

Alan...

Thanks Alan, knew it wouldn't be long till the 'well of infinate wisdom' would answer my question  ;D You seem to answer most of mine! Think i will just PM you directly in the future  :D

Phaeton

Staff member
As you know I would respond to PM's as I have in the past, but prefer to it via the forum, then that way we have a source of knowledge that others can use. When I built my first I used to post questions about everything, just to have the information available. Unfortunately that was on the forum that we no longer have access to.

BTW I don't know it all. I'm just the sad old git that has no life outside the internet

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":2uhe9pxp said:
As you know I would respond to PM's as I have in the past, but prefer to it via the forum, then that way we have a source of knowledge that others can use. When I built my first I used to post questions about everything, just to have the information available. Unfortunately that was on the forum that we no longer have access to.

BTW I don't know it all. I'm just the sad old git that has no life outside the internet

Alan...

Completely agree Alan. There have been several times when i have needed questions answered and after having a quick read through a few posts i have found the answers.

know what you mean about no life aouside of the net, seems to be no life outside of work for me, work all week and now my buggy is there, so go back to work at the weekends to work on it  :D

Jason :p

esdebe

You may find it tight getting the brake lines into the MC that far over, mine is about 1.5 inches to the left (too far, but then I was the first to use the new pendulum box and Dave Smart had only put one into the lefthand drive at that time, and the forum didn't exist)  I think you may find it hard to get a copper fitting with a tight bend or even the flexys for that matter.

You can give yourself a little more clearance by moving the whole pedal box up by .5 inch too..

But as Alan says the main thing is making sure you are comfortable with the pedals.

That far to the right you may find the brake and Accelerator are too close if you have fat feet, or wear wellys.

jason_l

esdebe":3mvwky6v said:
You may find it tight getting the brake lines into the MC that far over, mine is about 1.5 inches to the left (too far, but then I was the first to use the new pendulum box and Dave Smart had only put one into the lefthand drive at that time, and the forum didn't exist)  I think you may find it hard to get a copper fitting with a tight bend or even the flexys for that matter.

You can give yourself a little more clearance by moving the whole pedal box up by .5 inch too..

But as Alan says the main thing is making sure you are comfortable with the pedals.

That far to the right you may find the brake and Accelerator are too close if you have fat feet, or wear wellys.

The pedals are spaced the same distance apart (70mm between each one) so should be ok, i have stuck one of the seats i have roughly in the car now to  see if they are comfortable in the position they are in. The pictures make it look like the pipes coming from the master cylinder will be quite tight but it should be doable and then they will be in the correct place to be fixed straight to the car using the brake pipe clips. Thanks for the comments, i may look at rasing them up slightly :)

Danny

Administrator
I put mine in and adjusted the pedals with lump hammer!

Danny

PS Just about to take mine out for the last time!!

Paul

You need to turn up the settings on the welder, increase the wire feed slightly and slow down the travel speed. The welds are sitting on the surface with little in the way of penetration. This is a safety critical area and you dont want to take chances with a weld letting go during an emergency braking situation.
As with many things in life penetration is the key to a happy future.

jason_l

Paul":2zairle2 said:
You need to turn up the settings on the welder, increase the wire feed slightly and slow down the travel speed. The welds are sitting on the surface with little in the way of penetration. This is a safety critical area and you dont want to take chances with a weld letting go during an emergency braking situation.
As with many things in life penetration is the key to a happy future.
Thanks Mate, its all welded in place now, Did get better penetration when i welded it into the car. ToyotaGT are going to run the tig over it when it goes to them to ensure its ok. Im also going to put a few bolts through it as well so it def aint going anywhere.

Jason