Just Started building.

Essex Boy

Hi All
Just started a build with a kit bought about 2yrs ago. Not a mechanic so I would be very grateful of any advise over the next 10 or so years??

First hurdle, can't get the hubs off an old rear subframe. Do I need a hub remover or are there any tricks I should know about. Basic questions or what. Please don't reply with "give up now, you'll never do it" because I will get there with a little bit of help (well, maybe a lot of help)

Thanks

toyotacat1

Hi
Why are you removeing the rear hubs you don't need them on a buggy! we use two sets of front hubs! one set disc brake and the other drum brake off the older mini's.

Lee

Essex Boy

...REAR BRAKE ASSEMBLY INC BACK PLATES AND FLEXI PIPES

Taken from the build manual, I thought this meant the hubs as well. So, thanks for that. This means I'll now be looking for

...AN EXTRA PAIR OF FRONT HUBS WITH BRAKE ASSEMBLIES AND TIE BARS

I'll post my next dilemma as soon as it arises (should be tomorrow) but at least it might give all you mechanically minded a "bit of a laugh"

toyotacat1

Not a problem don't put your abilities down as we're to help. We're all learning somthing new everyday !

Lee

R1FREESTYLE

I agree with Lee, you have to start somewhere and you find when it comes to learning about cars people are only too happy to share their experiences.
So ask away...........and good luck with the build!

Paul

Phaeton

Staff member
Welcome to the forum, never fear to ask any question no matter how silly it may sem to you. If you're asking it then you can guarentee we've already thought about it. As to the build manual best thing to use it for is a coffee cup place mat.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
"Essex Boy"":3kh4rdn4 said:
Hi All
First hurdle, can't get the hubs off an old rear subframe. Do I need a hub remover or are there any tricks I should know about.
Right the only bits you need from the rear is

Brake backplate
Brake shoes
Brake Cylinder
Handbrake Lever from inside drum
Drums (Preferrably spaced ones)
You may also need the long studs from the hub but not the hub itself.

So basically do whatever you have to do to ge the hubs off without damaging these items. If you have to use an angry grinder then do so, but a hub puller or FBH should make them see sense.

Alan...