"K" series buggy

boger123

hi Andy i would deffo put some mud guards on as me and me bro took mine out today and we got absolutely dirty and we was spiting grass out 10 Min's later all cuz i couldn't be bothered to put the mud guards on bad mistake but apart from that and and road tyres on damp grass the buggy went well nothing broke so i was impressed here's a few pics of me bro poising for the camera the twat http://photobucket.com/dave_060

Baloo

made a bit more progress but its slowed down a bit as its at the stage where l am strippping it back down to finish the welding and paint it,  rear subframe has been  shot blasted and primed, the front is finished welded and waiting to go for shot blasting, the main frame  just wants a few more bits added like the seat belt fixing points etc
engine is back out and waiting for a steam clean

mgfbuggy8033.jpg

mgfbuggy8015.jpg

mgfbuggy8019.jpg

mgfbuggy8022.jpg

mgfbuggy8026.jpg

mgfbuggy8002.jpg

mgfbuggy8032.jpg

be painted next week and then its onto final assembly ;D

boger123

hi Andy buggy's looking good are you having a rollcage on it all a open top just a quick question when you wire the engine up does it have to go on a computer to program the mainbrain in or will it start straight up 

Baloo

boger123":1u7pe04j said:
hi Andy buggy's looking good are you having a rollcage on it all a open top just a quick question when you wire the engine up does it have to go on a computer to program the mainbrain in or will it start straight up 

hi Dave
      undecided on the rollcage, might just have a simple hoop as l have now or might go full cage, need to see it sat on the floor with the wheels/tyres etc on before l make my mind up
the k series engine uses an ecu that has a very secure inbiult imobiliser, it uses a rolling code that is extremely difficult to get round or bypass, but time marches on and more and more people have "testbook" or T4 systems that run on a laptop and will recode the 5as and ecu, however none of this should be nessercary if the 3 componets come of the same car, that is the engine ecu, the alarm ecu and key fob which are all matched to each other, so l should just connect up and it should start, l have now aquired a complete mgf which is parked on the drive to use as a workshop manual, if l have a problem with my alarm/imoberliser l should be able to remove the 3 componts of the second mgf and put them on the buggy and it should work,
if all that fails they can be recoded by some one with a laptop and suitable program, they can do this off the car, you take the ecu, alarm and keyfob to them, like these people
http://www.remotekey.co.uk/cars/MG/mgf-mgtf/faq.asp
who are only in sutton coldfield 

offroad 68

That is looking good and very professional andy,Are you taking orders for them? I assume the 2 pipes are for cooling, rad at the front?
What power is the engine and any idea of the weight when finished? 500 kg?

Baloo

offroad 68":2e5g7i0p said:
That is looking good and very professional andy,Are you taking orders for them? I assume the 2 pipes are for cooling, rad at the front?
What power is the engine and any idea of the weight when finished? 500 kg?

yes the 2 pipes are for the water to get to the front mounted rad,  dont really know how heavy it will be would guess at 700kg ? engine is the non vvc one which kicks out around 125 bhp l think,
dont think l will be taking orders for buggys as it puts you in a different league with responibilites such as product liability, besides while its easy to biuld one your self the same for around £750 its quite time consuming so if you added labour into it at £20 an hour the 150 or so hours means they would cost £3750 at least before the fancy wheels, tyres, graphics etc  :eek:

offroad 68

I was thinking more of the frame as pictured above not a complete buggy, There are many or even most people who could not build that and would rather buy one then buy the mgf bits and build it in to a complete buggy, like a kit car.

Baloo

heres a few more pics for you, painted the main frame grey although the roll hoop will get a another coat maybe into purple/blue, going to make some side panels up with printed images on, l have access to the images on this website

https://www.auroragraphics.net/gallery. ... 6a4d6526d3

the front subframe is back from the blasters, all this painting sure makes a mess of the workshop, looking forward to pushing the buggy outside and having a good clean up

mgfbuggy10003.jpg

mgfbuggy10002.jpg

mgfbuggy10009.jpg

the frame seems to balance quite well like this sitting on its back legs

mgfbuggy10010.jpg

mgfbuggy10011.jpg

mgfbuggy10012.jpg

mgfbuggy10016.jpg

mgfbuggy10024.jpg

mgfbuggy10026.jpg

mgfbuggy10029.jpg

mgfbuggy10030.jpg

mgfbuggy10031.jpg

mgfbuggy10018.jpg

mgfbuggy10020.jpg

biddleboy

hi andy its comeing along nice ive just got me steel and bits and bobs so will be haveing a chat soon about sub frames as i still not got a car yet me thinks ime a bit tight

Baloo

hi Steve

no problem, l seem to have a pair of spare of subframes so you can borrow them for as long as you wish,
will sort you  out a length of the curved 2" box as well,
l dont know when you are intending to start but l am expecting to drop this one on to the floor in a couple of weeks or so to check ride height etc, it might be an idea to see if this one works out correctly before you start cutting metal ?

Baloo

found myself some natty seats with just a hint of blue  ::) now l gotta buy some blue seat belts
also had a bit of a go at cleaning up the engine/box, slow going but we are getting there ,

MGFBUGGY11026.jpg

MGFBUGGY11027.jpg

MGFBUGGY11028.jpg

MGFBUGGY11029.jpg

Mini Mad Max

Wow it's looking really good. 4 years ago and i could've popped down the road and seen it. I just found out on the members map how close we used to live to each other, I used to live in Balsall Common. Small world ::)
Next job is getting her running i assume :D

Phaeton

Staff member
Looking really good, my only thing is I'd like to have seen bars from top of rollcage to top of dash to make it more 'buggy' style. I know this one is not destined for the road, but currently there is nowhere to hang the interior mirror, but if others are considering using Andy's wealth of knowledge it's something to consider.

Alan...

Baloo

Mini Mad Max":3ckzjmmp said:
Wow it's looking really good. 4 years ago and i could've popped down the road and seen it. I just found out on the members map how close we used to live to each other, I used to live in Balsall Common. Small world ::)
Next job is getting her running i assume :D

hi Max

yes Balsall Common is just down the road from me, about 10 mins l would think, l am working on cleaning up the suspension componets at the moment,  a bit of a long thankless task but l cant be putting dirty/rusty bits on my buggy can l  :)  should have all the bouncy bits cleaned and painted some time this week and then its pop the engine back in and attack the wiring, the last thing l have to make is an exhaust system but l will probally do that when its sat on the floor

Andy

Baloo

Phaeton":211qm3i4 said:
Looking really good, my only thing is I'd like to have seen bars from top of rollcage to top of dash to make it more 'buggy' style. I know this one is not destined for the road, but currently there is nowhere to hang the interior mirror, but if others are considering using Andy's wealth of knowledge it's something to consider.

Alan...

hi Alan
it will most probally have some form of roof bars that come down to the bulkhead/front, but the shape/position of the tubes is so critical in how a  buggy looks,  l cant visulise where l want the tubes while the buggy is sat up in the air on its trolly as it will change so much when its sat low down on the floor,  so l am going to finish everything l can to the point of having it driving and then have an experiment with some plastic tube and sellotape and try and come up with a shape that l like and is structually strong
to illustrate my point about shape  look at these 2 buggys l just found on ebay,  one appeals to me and one is well...... err not so appealing

minibuggy1.jpg

minibuggy2.jpg

so l have got to get it right, a few inches out makes a big difference in apperance, but l am sure l will get there in the end

Andy 

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy,

It wasn't meant as a criticism, more an observation, but I understand where you're coming from, I can't do the visualisation thing either. If the wife ever gets me kicking & screaming into doing anything around the house, she says we'll have this here, this there & it will all go together. I can't see it till it's finished, brain just doesn't work that way.

Alan...

Baloo

Phaeton":20m0vti9 said:
Andy,

It wasn't meant as a criticism, more an observation, but I understand where you're coming from, I can't do the visualisation thing either. If the wife ever gets me kicking & screaming into doing anything around the house, she says we'll have this here, this there & it will all go together. I can't see it till it's finished, brain just doesn't work that way.

Alan...

Hi Alan

no worries mate l never took it as criticism but even if it was that would be fine as well after all thats how we improve things by listening to other peoples views.
well its certainly wet outside to day, good opportunity to paint the rest of the bits in the garage l think 

Baloo

l am still plugging away at it, cleaning up all the suspension is a pain in the arse, but l am getting there slowly,
dropped the engine back in from the top, that was very tight but it does go in, in fact its all a bit tight but every thing misses by a few mill, just

mgfbuggy14006.jpg

mgfbuggy14001.jpg

mgfbuggy14004.jpg

mgfbuggy14005.jpg

mgfbuggy14018.jpg

mgfbuggy14021.jpg

mgfbuggy12001.jpg

mgfbuggy12002.jpg

mgfbuggy14020.jpg