Lotus 7 (Replica) Build Discussion

250buggys

Very good question Alan 😃

The return spring is really what I had to hand (amongst 3 others) to keep the release bearing just a mm or so from matting and constantly revolving and causing wear.

Plenty of trial and fail with the engine out of the 7 gives me some confidence I am now backing a winner. Just need it to be more reliable than a cable clutch and that is where I have put my money. 😃

The real trial will be to see if the 6 plate padle clutch is a good match for the ST170.
I have heard that they are like an off switch but my instincts says should be fun! 😃

250buggys

Thanks 😃

No not grp like an mk or Westfield this kit is more like the original 7 it is all ally.

I think the clearance will be ok, also will put some edge trim on .

Phaeton

Staff member
That belt doesn't look the most elegant, what are other builders doing, there is a alternator relocation kit what would that give you?

250buggys

Hi Alan ordered an 1180mm belt, see what thats like when it turns up. May take a bit of trial and fail but I may modify the casting if I need to.

There isn't much room for the alternator where the chassis braces are. I bought a retro ford alternator bracket as they are what people use when the standard ones fail but that doesn't fit.

Phaeton

Staff member
Seem to remember that @Danny relocated the alternator to the other side, not sure if that is an option, I seem to remember it was a lot lower down

250buggys

Thanks Alan, had a look may work. Would help with wiring making it simpler as the starter and battery is that side too but not so much room lower down with the water pump inlet and also the heat from the exhaust manifold right above.

250buggys

This zetec looks like the alternator is mounted on the opposite side, I wonder which mounting kit it is?

Screenshot_20231117-203821538.jpg

250buggys

This looks like it may work, thanks Alan and Danny 😃

Danny

Administrator

This looks like it may work, thanks Alan and Danny 😃
yeah thats what i bought :D I bought the whole kit... not actually seen it:D

Phaeton

Staff member
Very nice, I like the idea of a 3D printer but I know 100% I wouldn't be able to design & use it, it would end up an ornament

250buggys

It's nice I can have a bit of a play with this one Alan, couldn't afford the £2.5K to buy one. Its difficult to know how to spec one as there are so many.

3D modelling is fun, I probably would have just had my design printed and sent in the post, the chap at work showed me how to slice it and look at the structure of the side walls and the in fill rather than printing a solid object. So learnt a bit today.

Will have to think of some more things to design 😃

Phaeton

Staff member
Interesting question on emissions, you need them to do a 02A Visual Emission check, rather than a 02B Metered Emissions, but I'm not sure you get the choice, a Q or Age related is nothing to do with the IVA test, that is all about registering.

If you engine is post 1975 (which it is) I think you have to automatically have a 02B test, as long as you're trailering it there then surely it can be mapped to pass the tests, even if advised not to drive or hard with that map.

250buggys

Hi Alan, thanks. I have been doing a bit of research and the MOT looks like the easier part. Q plate is visual test only but IVA probably needs the cat and a map to get me through, as you said. Hopefully should be able to pull it off ok

I remember back in the day seeing Q plates every other weekend out on the road in the summer, never see them now, gone out of taste.

I am not interested in a private plate, just an extra cost. People say Q plates are worth less, disagree kit cars are always worth less than the total cost of the parts. Sadly you would always need to strip them and sell the parts rather than sell on. Unless it is a Caterham which defies all logic.😃

ChaosMS

Thats looking superb - really coming on now!

Ah the vw light switch control, what a superb bit of kit, did the same 3d printed a mounting bracket that bolts to the dash then the switch slides in and locks like in the golf it came from - 3d printers are wonderful things dont know where i would be without one now, printed all the light surrounds and mounts, ecu mounting, junction boxes, air intake pipes and adaptors... the list goes on, and on ha ha - here is my bracket
engine-swap-web211-1600-1000-100.jpg
and installed
engine-swap-web212-1600-1000-100.jpg
its quite a tight fit near the main beam indicator :)
engine-swap-web214-1600-1000-100.jpg

ChaosMS

ha ha yeah, to be honest I wish I had fitted it from the start much easier than the way I had it for the IVA!

250buggys

Yes agree, on the Freestyle build I used seperate mini rocker style switches. Could have been a lot quicker and easier if I had did what Wagon did and used a multi switch, thats what gave me the idea for the 7.

Now 3D printing is accessable making radius friendly designs means there is scope to use much more kit that isn't designed specifically to pass IVA.

Would be good to get a printer at some point. 😃

Plenty of Golf switces for sale but the connector is difficult to source, got one now and tested all the functions with a meter.