• Agree

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Disagree

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Not Bothered

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

esdebe

I'm not sure about the new look, and particularly don't like the adds on the left.

I know that this is how the forum is funded, but it frames the page all wrong. I don't like it, do others agree?

Simon

Danny

Administrator
how does it frame it all wrong?

looks good on my screens from 24 inch pc to my 10 inch netbook screens

BRUC3

Indeed, can't see why it was changed to be honest?

It was also dodgy for me ony laptop last might Danny. I had to scroll right down to the bottom of the page to see the page! It was just a blank screen until o rolled down!

Baloo

esdebe":1rv0m0o3 said:
I'm not sure about the new look, and particularly don't like the adds on the left.

I know that this is how the forum is funded, but it frames the page all wrong. I don't like it, do others agree?

Simon

yes it seems odd, since we were little were have been acustomed to starting to read from the left hand side and work across the page but now we are having to learn to start reading from the centre across to the right since most of us dont really want to read the adds on the left even if we understand and accept why they are there,
and as for having the usernames on the right hand side well thats just backwards ;D

Danny

Administrator
The software needed to be changed because the old forum was slow and dated... this one is quick and is compatible with tapatalk.

There is very little point putting ads on the right hand side of a screen as the dont get seen....

I can make the forum fixed width (i prefer fixed width) which would mean it stays the same size no matter the size of the screen... like on the old old forum... so there would be space down the right and left hand sides....

I have tested the current layout on loads of screens and it works right down to my 10inch netbook screen.

If you are having troubles get some screen shots and I will take a look

Danny

HolyCount

Personally preferred it as it was -- but then I am a dinosuar and by the time I get used to changes they change again !!!!!!

It's just different is all O0 .....hey ..I got hair O0

Danny

Administrator
when I changed www.plasterersforum.com there was up roar people were moaning and complaining.

They hated it.....

but now 9 months in the y love it...

theres not much difference with the layout of this one and the old one... but this one is much quicker :)

tiggersmini

Seems to work ok on my phone, bit of a pain having to scroll down all the time just to look at a topic. Like everything else we all like a bit of a moan at change. The Speed is good as well.

Danny

Administrator
tiggersmini":37lowbnx said:
Seems to work ok on my phone, bit of a pain having to scroll down all the time just to look at a topic. Like everything else we all like a bit of a moan at change. The Speed is good as well.

you can use tapatalk app if you are using an android, blackberry or iphone :) makes forums much easier to use

BRUC3

It works fine on my iCock, but on my laptop I have to scroll down far to see it!

Also whats the difference between the members rides section, and the project section?

Baloo

BRUC3":3j6xy8al said:
It works fine on my iCock, but on my laptop I have to scroll down far to see it!

Also whats the difference between the members rides section, and the project section?

l would guess the members rides section is what they drive about in and the projects section is for stuff still under construction, ( or consideration)

Danny

Administrator
how small is your laptop?

members rides is your car

projects are the on going projects like build diaries etc....

I will have a think about making the forum fixed width again.... wont be till next week now as I am flat out on other projects at the moment :)

Danny

esdebe

well I think this may be my last post for a while, I can't get on with this, too many thing I have to keep changing to get it to feel right, I don't like the fact that I have to change the away a post reads for every post to be descending rather than ascending.

I don't like the adds on the left they waste too much of the screen I never "Maximise a window" and resizing he window result in having to scroll past all the adds to get to the content, a waste of my time.

I'll keep in touch with a few of you suing more traditional methods but haven't had time of late to come on here, and can't be bothered with trying to get used to it again...

TTFN
Simon

BRUC3

Also the way the posts are red/white/red/white is bloody annoying!!

I wouldnt go as far to leave the site, but I came back on here as the Jago OC is terrible! I come back and everything has changed :(

It also seems as if the forum is a lot quieter these days?

Danny

Administrator
Hello,

I figured the content was more important than the users information so I put it on the right... But I can move it back to the left if that is the general consensus.

The reasons your posts are showing new to old is because your profile settings are wrong you just log in to your profile control panel and that can be changed and it will read as normal ie from old to new.

The ads on the left are a test if they don't receive traffic then I will remove them, but I need to test to see. I can go back to dropping them between posts.

The reasons why the forum was moved from the old forum is because it was slow and bit by bit it was crashing, it would be long before the whole forum would be lost. Its also much quicker now and the fact that we have tapatalk installed now means that it is easy for those people that browse it using there smart phones (another reason to do the upgrade)

If you guys are struggling with the flexible width forum I will put it back to the fixed width one where it is 1020px wide that way it wont move around depending on your screen size it will will be like the old site before it crashed :)

I spent a week building and testing this software before it launched and a few members were involved in the process and when they all agreed they were happy with it so I rolled it out... It takes tweaking and playing to get it perfect, the same was with my other forum, was a massive change a few moaned and complained but if I went to them now and said I am going back to the old there would be an up roar...

Give it another week or so and I will be able to firstly have some time to make a few more changes and secondly be able to see what you think of it after you have been able to play with it a while

All the best

Danny

Danny

Administrator
Also,

The forum always goes a bit quiet this time of year :) Kids are off school etc :) well its been like it since 2002 any how :)

Danny

Skirrow

The ads are annoying but they will get plenty of clicks in that position so Danny will probably want to keep them there.

User info should be on the left definitely of the posts though, it's just the norm and is a usability issue.

Danny

Administrator
ok, i will move the ads from the sidebar next week but i will put them between posts instead.

i will adjust the user info also... will take a day or so to do but leave it with me