painting over powder coating?????

jason_l

Hi guys, just a quick question.

As some of you well know me and a mate recently bought a ABS freestyle, the red one from ebay. As its a ABS version it has some relatively sharp corners and dave has mentioned that this can cause the powder coat to start coming off in sheets.

Rather than spend hours removing the powder coat and repainting will it be ok to just sand the edges that are problem aera's and just spray over the remaining powder coat or will it need to be all removed to give a good serface for the paint to key to???

Dave mentioned that Danny has removed powder coating before so don't know if you can help mate???

thanks in advance all :?

Jason :p

iank

I've found the best way to remove powercoat, and smooth off sharp edges/corners is to use a flap disk in an angle grinder. If gentle you can just matt up the powdercoat rather than completely removing so you can feather the edge and give a good key. It's much easier to control than a conventional hard disk.

I've been using these, but they aren't hard to find.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/64947/Abr ... 15-x-22mm#

As for spraying on top, best talk to your painter about compatibility. Danny's painter sprayed over powdercoat and the finish looks ok from the pictures.

jason_l

Thanks ian, i have some of those grinding discs about somewhere so will give them a go when i get a chance.

As for talking to the painter, thats sort of hard..........as im probably going to be the painter.

I have been tought to spray at uni and have my own gun and a huge compressor, its just we never touched on powdercoating. just the spraying itself!

Might have to pop down to a local spray shop and see what they say?!?!?

Jason :p