Plan B needed

Phaeton

Staff member
Had what I thought was a good idea, take off the mechanical fan, replace this with a low profile electric fan mounted on the inside pulling air into the engine bay. I could then remove my external electric fan which would give me enough room mount another extinguisher as a petrol tank. I had hoped that by removing the mechanical fan & setting the electric fan into the shroud it would all line up again.

Overview of cooling
Close-up of fan mounted

However I had to extend the bottom bracket then cut & shut the top bracket. The bottom hose will just about stretch but the top one is nowhere near.

Bottom hose
Top hose

This has now virtually put the radiator put the radiator back where the external electric fan was gaining me a big fat ZERO!! The second tank will still not fit.

Rad to Mudguard
Extinguisher in space or not as the case maybe

So has anybody got a plan B

Alan...

esdebe

you could put a big dent in the extiguisher to make it fit arround the rad or mudguard, or cut the mudguard arround the extinguisher.

My question for you is, is the electric fan enought to keep cool on its own? and if so is it sucking or blowing?

Hoagy

i have done the electric fan mod but as i have a tank behind the seats with a extinguisher reserve on the clutch side i have moved the rad to the space between the frame and mudguard angling it to fit giving a better airflow through the rad, i made new top and bottom brackets, extended the top hose by fitting an inline adj fan controller and made a swirl pot to hold an extra litre or so fitted in the bottom hose. so far this has improved the warm up time and the fan drops the temp from 80 to 70 degrees in under 2 mins, i have made a scoop ala formula 1 to fit in front of the rear mudguard but have not fitted yet (not so good idea off road but i'm strictly tarmac).
now what happened to the hot weather

Phaeton

Staff member
Suppose big hammer to extinguisher is an option.

Fan is a Spal, when it was mounted as per picture it would have pulled through the radiator. I am assured by Paul of P&L minis it's capable of cooling his racing Mini so I hope so.

Alan..

Phaeton

Staff member
"Hoagy"":1ado245m said:
i have done the electric fan mod but as i have a tank behind the seats with a extinguisher reserve on the clutch side i have moved the rad to the space between the frame and mudguard angling it to fit giving a better airflow through the rad, i made new top and bottom brackets, extended the top hose by fitting an inline adj fan controller and made a swirl pot to hold an extra litre or so fitted in the bottom hose. so far this has improved the warm up time and the fan drops the temp from 80 to 70 degrees in under 2 mins, i have made a scoop ala formula 1 to fit in front of the rear mudguard but have not fitted yet (not so good idea off road but i'm strictly tarmac).
now what happened to the hot weather
Any piccy's?

Alan

jerry

Alan,

The extinguisher that i've fitted to the left hand side is narrowed down bu about an inch. i just cut a slice off the side of the tank and welded a flat patch in. Works a treat

Jerry

Hoagy

dont know how to put pics on yet so have sent some to danny to be added to the gallery please bear in mind that these were at the prototype stage expansion tank and paint to be added

Phaeton

Staff member
Well plan B was worked on over the weekend as well as fitting 3 radiators not on the buggy but in the house so 'she' was happy, well appeased at least. But in between managed to make a bracket for the radiator & mount it outside the frame

New Position

Gives loads of clearnace just had to extend the pipes forward.

Extended pipes

Also fitted a thermostat which i've been running without, fan doesn't come on when running just at junctions, need to play with settings & move it to the bottom return pipe instead of top, not really bothered about temperature going in, it's coming out that's more important.

Warms up alot quicker without the fan running & with a thermostat, seems to run around the 85 mark & gets up to 90 when stopped & ticking over, but not sure how accurate the gauge is, could really do with an external one that could attach to pipes to make sure all is okay.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
FInger out......

within 10 minute of receiving the email from hoagy they were in the gallery

Jesus

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry Dan, I never look at the main site :oops:

Hoagy

I'm liking the force air induction, did you think about making one for the other site & actually mounting a rad in the units? maybe heater matrix's vertically with fans behind like a F1 car?

Alan...

Hoagy

yes did consider fitting rads in the ducts but with the amount of stuff that comes off the front wheels decided against it also did not fancy the extra pipework but i may do it in the future just cant leave things alone

Phaeton

Staff member
Just been reading this article on Minispares http://www.minispares.com/Article.aspx?aid=267 & more specifically this part
And ALWAYS have water flowing out of the heater tap take-off. If no heater or auxiliary matrix is used, plumb it into the top hose. If it’s put back into the bottom hose it won’t work properly, if at all. The water going into the bottom hose at that point MUST be below that in the main hose coming out of the radiator.
It's that last line I find interesting whilstever my thermostat appears to be closed all is okay, but once it opens then all sorts of funny things happen. Sometimes it fine, other times the water level in the expansion tank increases quite quickly & on one occcasion it pushed water out of the expansion tank. Pretty sure the water coming out of the heater matrix, is at a higher temperature than what is coming out of the botom of the radiator, but as they are then both pulled into the pump why would matter?

Alan...