Preparing for touring

Fish

Hi folks,

I've got a Dazon/Superbyke 1100 cc Traveller RRi and I want to do some touring with it. It's got canvas bodywork and I'd like to change it for some other kind of light-weight, but more rigid panels. I could also do with a small, lockable top-box for the roof-rack and a way of putting a spare wheel on the front section (it hasn't got a spare of any description at present, but as it has 12" wheels with 4 studs [8cm between hole centres], maybe it would take a mini one?). Any ideas, or recommendations gratefully received.  8)

2bd7_1.jpeg

Mini Mad Max

Hi fish. You could do like the freestyle and have alluminium chequer panels for the sides, then for the spare wheel you could fabricate a bracket and attach above the engine between the two downward diagonal bars. What you want for wheel identification is the PCD (pitch circle diameter), the distance between two holes diagonal from each other. Then you jsut find a wheel site and find one with that pcd like www.midlandwheels.com
Hope this helps with ideas.
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
I don't intend to carry a spare wheel, I will carry a can of that foam spray stuff you just inflate the wheel with.

As to panels yeah as Max says get some chequer plate, make cardboard templates.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
Yeah the trouble with carrying spare wheel is you then need a jack ect pain in the ass.

I have my trusty friend the AA man.

you need to measure across diagonally on the studs that will give you a better indication.

Danny

ben waine

id get a spear wheel as the tyre in a can destroys the tyre and cannot be repaired + you may only get 20 miles

Mini Mad Max

Offroad, you definitely want a spare! Otherwise the constant pumbeling means it wont last for more than a minute!
Max

Fish

Thanks for the advice guys. Checkerplate sounds (and looks) good, but isn't it heavy? I thought I might need fibreglass, or some kind of thick plastic for the panels.

I'm carrying one of those spray tyre inflation bottles, but I'd feel better with a spare. If I can find a suitable wheel, I'll probably get a bracket welded up for the front. I'm putting a lockable metal box on the back rack for helmets, wet-weather gear, jack, etc. I know the PCD is 11.5 cm, so I'll give that website a try - cheers.

Any recommendations about a small top box? Looks like a couple of the members have toured Spain with something like the kind of thing I'm thinking of (sorry - forgotten where I saw the pics on the site).

Angel Boy

Does that guy still attend the shows who sells that liquid which you put inside your tyre so if you puncture it fills the hole and stops the tyre defleating etc?  It looked pretty impressive as he sat spiking the tyre stayed inflated.

I can't remember the name of the product, but it might be something to consider for all you muddy boys and girls.

Andy

esdebe

I used to use that sort of thing on my mountain bike, but its horrible stuff, and it makes any proper repair to the tyre impossible (unless you have the facilities to remove the tyre from the rim and clean it up before taking it to a type place as they won't touch it covered in gunk.

It would be useless for offroad as you more likely to tear in the side wall offroading  which the tyre in a can can't repair as it would be too big.

I do however carry a can for road use as it's better than nothing, and a lot lighter, and should it not get me home there is always the AA.

Simon

collie

Fish":1txuquxl said:
Thanks for the advice guys. Checkerplate sounds (and looks) good, but isn't it heavy? I thought I might need fibreglass, or some kind of thick plastic for the panels.
If you're after lightweight, plastic panels sound a good idea?
Fish":1txuquxl said:
Any recommendations about a small top box? Looks like a couple of the members have toured Spain with something like the kind of thing I'm thinking of (sorry - forgotten where I saw the pics on the site).
I think Danny said that Halfords is the bast place for Top Boxes. Likely that the photos of a buggy with one fitted is Danny's.

Phaeton

Staff member
I've been looking for a topbox over the last week or so, they seem to of gone up hugely in price, Last year they seemed to start on fleecebay at around £80, cheapest i swa last night was £130.

As to panels I was thinking more in the line of straight 2mm aluminium which you could then paint if you wanted to, but even 2mm chequer plate doesn't weight that much, depending how much you use.,

Alan...

esdebe

Alan, What happend to your top cage, the thing you welded up with sharp corners that cut through your tarpulin, is that not going to make a comeback?

As for roof boxes, I found a local motorists centre called autosave, that had them for about £79, was good I think, I say that as I carried it home from there on top of my bugy holding it on with exhaust pipe clamps, but the only time I used it was going to poland, and I filled it up but never got to unload it as it couldn't survive the Mazda 5 roling over it 3 times.... 

I now have a motorbit top box in the middel of the back and two motorcyle boxes on either side of it.  It can't take anything big but things like tents fit behind the seat (I don't have one of those fuel tanks getting in the way ;)

Simon

Phaeton

Staff member
esdebe":3aonle20 said:
Alan, What happend to your top cage, the thing you welded up with sharp corners that cut through your tarpulin, is that not going to make a comeback?
Simon

I still have it on top of the storage area at the back of the workshop, if finances carry on the way they are currently it may well make a return. In fact I may not bother with a roof box & just use it, I was looking over the buggy at the weekend & it is pitifully scrappy so the roof cage would suit it perfectly, probably needs painting matt black though for the real rat look.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Fish":1407czre said:
I'm carrying one of those spray tyre inflation bottles, but I'd feel better with a spare. If I can find a suitable wheel, I'll probably get a bracket welded up for the front. I'm putting a lockable metal box on the back rack for helmets, wet-weather gear, jack, etc. I know the PCD is 11.5 cm, so I'll give that website a try - cheers.
For that pcd the closest i could find was 114.3 mm, that came up with LOADS of cars! You Selected 4x114.3
Make Model
Austin Allegro 
Austin 1300
Austin Cambridge
Austin 1800 
Austin 2200 
Austin Austin Farina Range 
Austin Princess
Daewoo Matiz
Datsun 1600 
Datsun 2000 
Honda Prelude
Honda Legend
Honda Civic V-Tec 
Honda Accord 
Hyundai Accent
Hyundai Pony 
Hyundai Sonata 
Hyundai Lantra
Hyundai Excel
Hyundai Atos 
Hyundai Coupe 
Kia Clarus 
Mitsubishi Space Runner 
Mitsubishi Space Wagon 
Mitsubishi Galant 
Mitsubishi Lancer
Mitsubishi Colt 
Mitsubishi Carisma 1.8 16v 
Nissan Prairie 
Nissan Bluebird
Nissan Primera
Nissan 200SX
Rover 600 
Rover 800 
Subaru Justy 
Suzuki Alto 
Suzuki Sedan
Suzuki Swift
Volvo T4 
Volvo S40
Volvo V4

SEE!
If anyone else wants to find out cars with certain PCD go to http://www.retroridescommunity.com/wheels.asp?issubmitted=PCD&newPCD=14&submit=go
Hope this helps! ;D
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Max,

Are you aware of ET numbers? although the wheels may sit on the studs if the ET (Offset) is incorrect they may foul the bodywork, good information to start looking with though.

Alan...

Asbo

hi fish. in response to your search for lite-weight panels....i'm using a lighter alternative to chequer plate on my buggy...available from suppliers to the sign making industry,its called(usually) di-bond,its a rubber sheet, aluminium coated on both sides,strong/tough/lite-weight,easily overpainted or covered in vynil graffix.it's also easily bent to shape(a local lamp-post moulded my nose-cone)...on purpose i may add......not as a result of the recent cold spell/ice/snow etc. ::)

Angel Boy

wulliecosse":vci4a9wb said:
hi fish. in response to your search for lite-weight panels....i'm using a lighter alternative to chequer plate on my buggy...available from suppliers to the sign making industry,its called(usually) di-bond,its a rubber sheet, aluminium coated on both sides,strong/tough/lite-weight,easily overpainted or covered in vynil graffix.it's also easily bent to shape(a local lamp-post moulded my nose-cone)...on purpose i may add......not as a result of the recent cold spell/ice/snow etc. ::)

How much per square (whatever your unit of measure is) are you paying for it please?  I might be in need of some addtional aluminium sheet.

Andy

Fish

wulliecosse":1ncxem0q said:

Thanks Wullie... that looks like something worth considering as an alternative. I'll do some measuring up and compare different panels for weight, price and ease of fastening.