Removing and refitting rubber cones...

collie

Hi Guys,
I've managed to strip down my donor subframe and can't work out how to remove the rubber cones since they seem to be under tension and the last thing I want to do is break something or do myself a mischeif!

Can anyone let me know the best method of removing them. The haynes manual suggest using a special tool! Do I really need to go that far?

Cheers,
Alex

depending on the age of your mini, there are two different threads. older ones have unf. be very careful, doughnuts are under a high amount of spring tension. if you don't get a secure fixing, the doughnuts could let go. trust me they break fingers if things go wrong. you can buy a tool from mini sport online, or you can get one off ebay quite cheap - use it and stick it back on ebay.

you need to screw tool into doughnut, going in the turet mounting point hole. you then tighten up the nut on the top, this works against a spacer and conpresses the rubber ( this is when it gets dangerous). take the rubber stopper from under the top suspension arm to allow the arm to go lower. push down on arm and pull trumpet from under the rubber ( might need a smack. then release tension. easy

esdebe

The tool is very usefull if you are emoving them whilst the subframe is still in a mini... If you have the subframe off then you will get away with the m14 threaded bolt as per alans post. It would be very unlikely that you will have the older thread size and if you do then you will need to replace teh donughts anyway as they will be worn out. All new ones are the m14 thead.

All you need is a bolt or a length of m14 stud, a nut and a large washer, put the nut onto the bolt / stud and wind it until there is about 10 to 12 cm of thread sticking out the slide on the large washer. screw the thead into the donught until the washer is tuching the top of the tower then unscre the nut this will compress the donught. when you have it tensioned enought you can knock out the pin on teh top arm drop out the trumpet and then undo the nut untill you are no longer under tension and unscred the bolt.

Job done and it will cost you lees than £5, or ask alan as he says he isn't using his bolt at the moment :)

collie

Thanks guys, some really good info there! :D
The subrame is off the mini already, and it's an '86 model so...
I'm without transport at the moment so won't be able to come borrow your bolt Alan, but thankfully I'm working at one of our sites on Monday and I know one or two of the fitters there who'll very likely be able to sort me out with a bit of M14 threaded bar etc.
Cheers,

Phaeton

Staff member
I'm off to Stanford mini Show tomorrow during the day & London tomorrow night. Will be back Monday night so if your not sorted let me know & you can buy me a pint Tuesday night somewhere near your house.

Alan...

MattBlack

If you're not sorted by next weekend and your comming to Donnington, let me know and I'll bring the tool with me. It's got both thread types so that will sort you out.