Robbies rebuild diary

nw208

After getting my unfinished project that I bought off ebay home, it was clear almost immediately that this project was going to be a labour of love over the next few weeks, as after giving the buggy an initial 'once over' it was evident the words cock up kept repeating themselves the more I looked at what I had bought.

The final straws were the aluminium roof bolts holding the steering rack in place and the two bolts holding the subframe to the chassis were only 'finger tight'

A full strip down was required!

To begin with a name for the project was needed and after some thought I came up with "Thunderchild" you know the grey battleship from Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds. Against all odds it bravely encountered the martians as earths last hope of survival ( enough of the storytelling!)

The present Mrs Carolan hastily pointed out that Thunderchild was not such a good name as it was hit by the heat ray and sunk. (doom-monger) :)

What do you guys think?

Anyway over the last 2 days Thunderchild has been reduced to her component parts . the chassis is in need of some tlc, I am cosidering coverting the subframe to 'dry mini' it currently has the wet metro set up. and am not sure at the moment wether tho persist with the metro rear disc set and try to find how to make a caliper handbrake setup, or whether to use the mini drum set up if I can fid a cheap subframe.

Piccies to follow once I can download them onto the computer.

You will all have to bear with me, I am trying to learn how to build a buggy use a new digital camera, download onto the pc and use a forum, all of which until recently have been alien to me.

Phaeton

Staff member
On the caliper front I have a set of Golf MK2 GTI calipers & mounting brackets that almost line up with the holes on a Mini disk hub, not sure if Metro is the same, but can be picked up cheaply of fleecebay.

Alan...

collie

Thunderchild sounds a good name, it's got punch, better than 'Purple Pony' which I have inevitably lumbered myself with! :lol: