Rolling over a weekend?

peterw47

Hi all, been looking at gettin another car recently but already have a dieing mini so thought I'd look at a mini based kit car - voila found the freestyle ;D

Problem is I use my uncles workshop to do any mechanical work so if I started this I would ideally have it rolling over a weekend so my uncle can use his workshop during the week just by rolling out side for the day.

Any thoughts on this and what's actually invloved in getting it rolling would be really appreciated :)

Cheers

Phaeton

Staff member
Welcome Peter, Getting a new kit at the moment is quite difficult, well actually currently impossible. However if you could get a new one, it would be possible to have it rolling in a weekend with a bit of pre-preparation. Have the front sub-frame, ideally with the engine fitted ready, all the hubs refurbished or whatever your intentions are etc. that sorts out the rear completely. The fronts again are simple enough you would just have wait for the top arms to be modified but the rest can be got ready, 2 good days will see it done. It's not the way the build manual shows but doable especially if your uncle has a ramp or pillar lifts.

All that said the problem is getting your hands on a new kit, therefore the best option would be to get a rolling part build, have a look in the ebay section I think there are at least 2 currently, which gets you over this hurdle anyway & will probably save you money in the long run.

Alan...

peterw47

Oh that's bad news! Why is it not possible to get a new kit at the moment, I'm guessing purely because no1 is buying at the moment and it's too expensive to make a single frame?

I've had a look at the eBay section (and all through eBay) but can't see any at the moment - actually there is an old original design but that doesnt have the roll cage part - I'll go post in the wanted section now!

jason_l

peterw47":2wd0ckjl said:
Oh that's bad news! Why is it not possible to get a new kit at the moment, I'm guessing purely because no1 is buying at the moment and it's too expensive to make a single frame?

I've had a look at the eBay section (and all through eBay) but can't see any at the moment - actually there is an old original design but that doesnt have the roll cage part - I'll go post in the wanted section now!

long story but Basically the guy (Dave) who has the copyrights to the kit and was producing them for whatever reason is now not interested in building the kit anymore and has stopped making them some time ago. There are the odd part builts that turn up now and then and a few members have some for sale. Best thing to do is either wait until a part built becomes available or one of the other members is currently working on a new version. I believe it is very similar to the freestyle but not too sure if its definately a going ahead yet???

Jason :p

HolyCount

There is a Tomcat in the bay at the mo -- as near as you will get at the moment. It's off roader, but could easily be brought up to spec for road use --- trouble is, that won't use much of your dying mini!

As for getting it rolling over the weekend, you could alwayd do what I did -- pop 4 heavy duty castors on a pallet, frame sits on that and can be wheeled around to your heart's content. Bonus is that the frame is a bit higher off the ground too, so easier on the old back!

peterw47

Hmmmm, it did see the Blitz but if I was going to go down that route and buy a complete one I might as well do the work needed on the mini and get rid of that first.

I'll have to see what comes along I guess and keep my eye on eBay!

Good to know it's possible to get rolling in a weekend if something does come along though.

Cheers guys