Rust removal

Angel Boy

I have just been reading about removal of rust via electrolysis.  Seems to be quite effective.

Clicky!!

WARNING - if you get your +ve and -ve the wrong way around, you'll not get the result you where looking for.

Andy

jason_l

I know this topic hasn't been posted in for a while but i found this guide while looking about online.

Uses standard cheapo Malt Vinegar and the results look amazing!!!!! Going to try this on my hubs and see how they come up. Will post the results when i have them.

http://www.vwcaddyforum.com/showthread.php?t=17859

I think we need a usefull guide section Danny???

Jason :D

Mini Mad Max

Arghhh! This is what revision does to you, it makes you forget the things that are more important just so you can answer some crappy questions that have no relation to the syllabus that you've studied!

jason_l

Mini Mad Max":llgxd7d6 said:
Arghhh! This is what revision does to you, it makes you forget the things that are more important just so you can answer some crappy questions that have no relation to the syllabus that you've studied!

Hope its not Resistant Materials your revising  :D

Mini Mad Max

Nahh i don't need to revise that one so much because i'm interested in that kinda stuff and so learn it easily :D

jason_l

Mini Mad Max":2dglh84d said:
Nahh i don't need to revise that one so much because i'm interested in that kinda stuff and so learn it easily :D

Really?  :D

Anyway, im going to try the vinegar thing on my hubs next week and see if it works. Should do, its just the same as a acid bath basically. :D

jason_l

HolyCount":1gbhfffl said:
Don't forget the before and after pics Jas  ;D

Will do :D Hopefully should be pretty good.

I think we Need a 'How To Section' that things like this can be put into Danny? Would be good having a few walkthroughs on the most commonly asked questions and helpfull tips like this.

Danny

Administrator
Jason

I think your right

I will do one later next week, I have one on my plasterers forum and its pretty good!

Normally just start the post everybody posts then I go through and pull out the crap trhen lock it!

Danny

jason_l

Danny":2o1cd1wr said:
Jason

I think your right

I will do one later next week, I have one on my plasterers forum and its pretty good!

Normally just start the post everybody posts then I go through and pull out the crap trhen lock it!

Danny

Yes exactly that Danny. Keep them as a locked clean topic with just the info needed. I will do a complete walkthrough with pictures for the vinegar derust method if you like.

collie

Jason, there was a complete how-to on rust removal in CKC a couple of months back, I can dig it out for you if you're interested?

Mini Mad Max

Oh yeah i remember that, the guy even used a bottom arm from a mini because he had a gtm coupé at the time ;D

wagon

Sorry to dig up an old thread - Thought I could have a bit of input though :)

I'm most of the way through beating rust on a VW caddy - I'd say I was a bit of a Veteran !

I've done most rust removal/correction methods:
Electrolosis
Acid Dip (Vinegar)
Rust convertors
Mechanical (sandblasting/wire brusing etc)
Sectioning  :'(

Vinegar works very well  ;D
P1000469.jpg

P1000474.jpg

wagon

Here's some electrolysis
P1020025.jpg

Took this big drum that i got from flEbay...
P1020024.jpg

Was used to transport olives :screwy:
P1020023.jpg

And attached up the wires and axel parts
P1020027.jpg

mmmm.... minging
P1020032.jpg

to blinging :D
P1020061.jpg