speed sensor probs

nobby

hi all, i have a quad which has a speed sensor built into back axle, which stopped suddenly one day, and sits there flicking between 0mph/kph, this happened just before new perf exhaust and air filter was fitted so now i have no idea how much faster it is,

yes it is a chinese quad, just wondering if anyone had any ideas ;)

am greenlaning for first time on it next week, and want it running 100% if poss ;D

esdebe

Not sure but if it is flicking between KPH and MPH it sounds like it could be either a fault with the speedo or the wiring to the speedo.  It could also be something as simple as the speedo losing its settings due to the battery being disconnected at some point. 

I wouldn't have thought that the sender would cause a fault which changes between MPH or KPH but it is worth checking that it works, Again not knowing the type of sender or speedo, I'd test it as follows:-

Connect a multimeter to the sender  (see next two paragraphs for what you are using the multimeter to do) Jack up the back of the quad, and rotate the wheels (using you hands, you don't need to be in gear and ignition should be turned off) this should result in a fluctuating  reading on the multimeter.

Try taking the connector of the sender and see how many wires there are, if there are 3 one needs connecting to a live feed and using a multimeter between the other two connectors you would look for a hig and low voltage being generated  (0V for the low and a high equal to the voltage on the live feed)

if there are 2 wires then it is working based a circuit opening / closing using a Multimeter you should be able to test the sender by looking for the circuit opening /closing. Looking for high then low resistance, open=infinitely high resistance, closed=very low if not zero resistance.

If you prove the sender is working you can check the wiring, again using a Multimeter first check that if you have a sender with 3 wires one of them has a voltage on it (you will probably need ignition on to do this, so if working near a moving and HOT engine be very very careful!!!)

I hope this helps

Simon

nobby

hi simon, thanks for reply. i have 3 wires (red,blue and black)

put meter on to test voltage and its reading 7.56 v, is this normal ???

dont want to seem dim, but surely it should be 12v ???

as to resistance, im lost, as meter (ohms) has so many settings :eek:

electrics was never my strong point !,

cheers nobby

esdebe

You would need to measure the voltage if it has 3 wires.

The low voltage could be a sign of a problem but I'd suspect that it is a regulated voltage in which case nothing to worry about, the Acewell uses a 5V and it runs of a 12V supply...

So which wires had a voltage accross them?  I'd suspect that the Red wire would have a constant voltage accross it and either the blue or the black would see a voltage initialy but this would be set to 0 as the sender pulses.

Simon

nobby

red wire is the pos. and black neg, thats whats reading 7volts

blue wire ???

would adjusting it by winding it in damage it if its too close to axle?