Speedo Cable

HolyCount

Anyone know who ( if anyone) makes custom length speedo cables for the mini ???

Alan ... what you up to with a broken cable then ??? :?

Mini Mad Max

hi,
the funbuggies website recommends speedycables, thay cut it to the length you want.
It doesn't give a link on the sight so just search for speedy cables.

Phaeton

Staff member
I'm going to use an Acewell again, the broken cable is to use to drive the pulse generator they are better & more reliable than having a magnet on the wheel. Do a search for Acewell on here, there should be a few posts, I've just picked one up off fleecebay for £65.

Alan...

HolyCount

"Phaeton"":3v7zjb2o said:
I'm going to use an Acewell again, the broken cable is to use to drive the pulse generator they are better & more reliable than having a magnet on the wheel. Do a search for Acewell on here, there should be a few posts, I've just picked one up off fleecebay for £65.

Alan...

Do tell more :D

HolyCount

"Mini Mad Max"":8jdc3f47 said:
hi,
the funbuggies website recommends speedycables, thay cut it to the length you want.
It doesn't give a link on the sight so just search for speedy cables.

Thanks for that Max -- not seen that 8)

Phaeton

Staff member
Pulse generator is probably not the correct term, might be Hall Effect sender or something like that "Simon help me out here" Anyway thew standard Acewell comes with a magnet & a reed switch, you normally put the magnet on your wheel or a suitable place, the reed switch on a nearby solid fixed place. This does work however Dave, Simon & myself all got problems with it, at different speeds the speedo would start to jump about all over the place. Mine did it between about 23 & 32 mph & would suddenly tell me I was doing double that speed, Simon came up with this TERT006 which you put on the end of a cut down speedo cable & made them read perfectly.

If you decide to go this route, you will need 3 wires running to the back of the buggy, a 12v switched supply & the 2 senor wires from the Acewell, you also do need to connect them the correct way round as it is polarity conscious. There are other digital speedo's out there but I would still recommend the TERT006 as the means to provide the "pulse"

Alan...

HolyCount

Aaaahhh :) VERY interesting -- Yes it is the Hall Effect Sender. TBH I was being too lazy to figure it out myself :?

Wasn't too happy with the idea of magnets whizzing past a reed switch. I read somewhere about the Hall Effect, which went into great detail of how to make a sender -- but it all blurred into greek before my very eyes :cry:

So -- decided I might use an extended speedo cable and the original dash binnacle ..... but your golden nugget of info has changed my mind ( yet again ). I will definitely look at the Acewell and Tert006 set up.

What price do these come in at? And (politely!) What do you do with it ?? Guessing it attaches to a shortend speedo cable from the g/box .... other side to the Acewell via the wires you referred to above ?

Many thanks :)

Phaeton

Staff member
"HolyCount"":zh0ueh9l said:
Wasn't too happy with the idea of magnets whizzing past a reed switch.
What made my mind up was when the magnet came whizzing past my ear at about 55mph on my way to Hmalan's house.

Alan...

HolyCount

"Phaeton"":24noluh3 said:
"HolyCount"":24noluh3 said:
Wasn't too happy with the idea of magnets whizzing past a reed switch.
What made my mind up was when the magnet came whizzing past my ear at about 55mph on my way to Hmalan's house.

Alan...

Yes ... that would help clear your thoughts :shock:

Phaeton

Staff member
Yep as you would be using a Mini speedo & attaching the TERT006 to that all problems solved.

Alan...

HolyCount

"Phaeton"":ubwj00nj said:
Yep as you would be using a Mini speedo & attaching the TERT006 to that all problems solved.

Alan...

Lost me now, Alan. (easily done!) ...... was either going to use a digital dash with TERT006 ...... speedo cable to TERT then electrical connections to dash, or

Mini Speedo -- just an elongated cable from g/box to speedo (no TERT needed --- or is it ??????)

It is early in the morning and I haven't woken up --- am I missing something ?
(answers on a postcard ........ )

Phaeton

Staff member
Just read & reread my post & even I can't make sense of it,

But basically you are correct, of the situations we are talking about you can either get Speedy cables to make up a longer Mini cable. I think it cost Simon around £75 3 years ago to have one made. You can use an Acewell digital speedo or similar along with the magnet & reed switch or my preferred option using an Acewell along with the TERT006. For the TERT006 method, you have a short piece of Mini speedo cable coming out of the gearbox to the unit secured at a convenient place. The signal then becomes electrical via 3 wires which you then connect to your Acewell.

As I said it doesn't have to be an Acewell, if you search fleecebay for digital speed* it does bring up other makes. The one I have bought has the LED's in for indicators, hazard, oil, full beam & another green one which is supposed to be for neutral. On the last buggy I used that for the ignition battery warning light. This time however I've bought from premier wiring 3 standard red warning lights, battery warning, rear fog & brake fail.

So my complete dash for SVA will be Acewell for speed, indicators, hazards & full beam warning, 1x 2 position switch to put on my sidelights & then dip/main, 1x 1 position to switch on the rear fog & finally the brake warning light will come off a switch fitted to the handbrake. These will all be mounted on the right of the steering column inside the 127mm exclusion zone & away from the passenger, along with the 3 warning lights. Once passed then I will start again.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Found the sender slightly cheaper HERE Kev, I know you were on about buying 3 & sending 2 down to you, I've asked question of discount, if not might be best just to order for yourself as cost saving will be minimal.

Alan...