Suspension setup

herman

Hi guys.
I've just purchased an Onyx tomcat from "Mines got a Bonnet".

The issue i have is it is very twitchy at speed, due to there being no Castor angle on the front.

What do you guys run the freestyle suspension at front and rear?

Castor?
Camber
Toe angle?
Tyre pressure.

I know mini's inside out and have raced loads over the years, but just a bit unsure of the buggy set up.

Any information is much appreciated.

Cheers Herman

Phaeton

Staff member
Herman, Welcome aboard, they are a bit twitchy to be honest, one of the joy, try not to hang on too tight to the steering wheel & give it it's head. If you're not careful you start to go into oscillation over correcting both ways, there is a technical avionics term for it that Dave used to use but I can't remember.

As to setup for the Freestyle there is a document for the ABS Freestyle written quite a while ago, I posted a link to it in a recent post by Radar. He however had it done at a supposedly reputable place & wasn't happy at all with it once done. I've tried to follow it with my Heath Robinson measurements & am quite happy.

Alan...

herman

Cheers Alan for the info any chane you could post the link again as i couldn't find radars original post.

Cheers Colin

herman

Thanks again Alan.
It is "Mines got a Bonnet"

Onyx Tomcat

It was based on Metro subframes originally same as frame i have but the yellow one has metro subframes just the same but has manufatured front bottom arms.

The problem being there is No castor on one side and Negative on the other. Hence the very twitchy drive.

I will get 2 new arms made for it but i needed a rough idea of where the castor sits on buggies.

Mini usually was 3 degrees standard.

So just curious for as much info as poss.

PS what do you run your tyre pressures at? Dave said 16 psi on his 13 x 7's

Cheers Colin. ;D