SVA test today

RichardG

Well what a mixed day. Failed on just 2 points. The test took no moe than 1.5 hours and that included chatting and setting up the head light alignment. Amazed it was so quick and pretty sure he skipped half the tests.

I was not expecting a first time pass but am a bit miffed it has to be said. The tester was a very nice chap and was very fair so no complaints really but while doing the brake tests he pulled the hand brake on so hard he destroyed the hand brake cable. See my blog for a picture. The cast metal ends were shattered as he yanked the hand brake on. The only thing I can think off is that the holes in the mounting bracket were a bit to big which allowed the lug to pull thru and it then shattered. Even so he must have given it one hell of a pull. "hand brake inopperative"

Plus no self centring. He was happy to let me adjust the suspension set up there and then as we had plenty of time left but no point as the hand brake had just broke.

Oh well - could have been worse and should not take much work to rectify ready for the re-test.

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
Well done, shame about the handbrake, but if he managed to break it then you were only putting off what was eventually going to happen. But it's going to cost you another £32 on top of the repair which is a bit of a bugger.

Alan...

R1FREESTYLE

Bit of a shame to have been so close, but as you say it wont take you long to sort. Well done! Hopefully the sun will finally come out when you have it through!!! 8)

RichardG

OK so 2 things to fix.

I just won an auction on e-bay for a new handbrake cable (just 99p plus postage) so when it arrives will need to make up a new mounting braket with the correct size holes!!

Had booked the buggy in for an MOT next Wednesday so will probably have to postpone that to the following week.

As for the suspension set-up and self centring. I thought I had made enough adjustments already to get self centring but obviously not. So just to make sure I am doing the right thing:

I need to lengthen the tie bars to create more negative castor and increase the toe out. Correct ?

Richard

esdebe

at the front you should have too much negative camber, if you are using standard bottom arms and tie bars, and I only put adjustables on to give positive camber to make it stand up straight and look propper.

Make sure your tire pressure is low about 12 would be good. Make sure that you have some toe out about of about 1 to 2 mm on the front.

Ensure that the top and bottom ball joints on the front are not too tight.. I losend mine off for the SVA but then had to tighten them up for the MOT....

if you can change the caster on the front (you need adjustable bottom arms and tie bars) then by increasing it you can also inprove the self centreing.

Also make sure you haven't clamped the colum outer too tight and pinched the colum inner
Simon

Phaeton

Staff member
"RichardG"":3awlxv8g said:
Had booked the buggy in for an MOT next Wednesday so will probably have to postpone that to the following week.
Why? You don't legally need to unless it's a peace of mind thing.

Alan...

RichardG

[/quote]
Why? You don't legally need to unless it's a peace of mind thing.

Alan...[/quote]

I agree completely but try explaining that to DVLA Worcester office. They would not register my Robin Hood or Onyx Firefox without an MOT certificate :evil: . Rules may have been clarified in the last year or two but I was not going to take any chances.

RichardG

As for suspension set up I have adjustable tie bars and bottom arms. Currently have the camber slightly negative. I adjusted (lengthened) the tie bars before the SVA to give more negative castor. I think the main problem is toe in which is currently very negative. I adjusted it as far as possible but the tyres started rubbing on the tie bars. I need to make a small mod to the steering rack to restrict the lock so that I can then get more toe out.

Richard

esdebe

I had the same problem with the tiebars rubbing, I put 15mm spacers on the front. Dave sugested putting a hoseclup on under the gaiter to reduce the turing circle.

the usual problem with addustabe bottom arms is they are to give negative camber. I needed to reduce the negative camber (mine is still negative but not as much as default set up). I had to take the angle grinder to the adjustable bottom arm to shave 5 mm or so off each end of the threaded part so I could shorthen the arm and reduce the negative camber.

I undid up the adjustable tiebars as much as possible to lengthen the tiebars to push the bottom ball joint further away and increase the camber.

very small amount of toe out is the bigest noticable diffrent though.

RichardG

No progress to report since the SVA test , just been so busy with other things.

I won some tickets for Silverstone F1 GP, then my sister in law got married, then I had a track day at Cadwell park. Then finally last weekend we had all the flooding (i live near Evesham/Tewksbury. Next weekend I am off on holiday with the family. I tried booking the re-test for second week of August but the test centre is closed that week. :cry:

Would like to get the buggy road legal in time for Donnington.