temp gauge

biddleboy

hi guys anyone got any ideas bought me self a standed temperature gauge wired it up and took the wire to the original sender on the mini block i took it out for a spin and temp gauge read 120 degrees but the pipes was not boiling and the engine didn't boil over would i need to use the original sender that come with the gauge

HolyCount

it's probably got a different impedance. You will need to find out the impedance on the old and new senders. You can then either match the old to new or swap them over if the fittings are the same.  That's the limit of any knowledge I profess to have on the subject -- I am sure Alan will be along to put me right  :-\

Phaeton

Staff member
Kev,
That's spot on as far as I can see & my limit is very much near yours on this one.

Steve,

What make is the temp gauge is it an old style Smith's one?

Alan...

Angel Boy

I vaugely recall something, but I would check this as I might have it wrong.

Put the sender in boiling water, fit a variable resistor inline and connect up to the gauge.  As the water is boiling it should be around 100C and you should therefore see 100C on the gauge.  If you don't see 100C adjust the variable resistor until you do.  Disconnect it all and with a multimeter, measure the resistance.  Once you have your resistance get a fixed resistor from RS or Maplins and then solder it inline on the back of the gauge.  Run the test again to make sure that you are seeing 100C on your gauge and hopefully you should be ok.

Again, got to stress I might have picked this up as a method which doesn't work I just can't remember.  It makes sense to me, but so do many things which don't work  ;D

Andy

jason_l

Angel Boy":2h5knubo said:
I vaugely recall something, but I would check this as I might have it wrong.

Put the sender in boiling water, fit a variable resistor inline and connect up to the gauge.  As the water is boiling it should be around 100C and you should therefore see 100C on the gauge.  If you don't see 100C adjust the variable resistor until you do.  Disconnect it all and with a multimeter, measure the resistance.  Once you have your resistance get a fixed resistor from RS or Maplins and then solder it inline on the back of the gauge.  Run the test again to make sure that you are seeing 100C on your gauge and hopefully you should be ok.

Again, got to stress I might have picked this up as a method which doesn't work I just can't remember.  It makes sense to me, but so do many things which don't work   ;D

Andy

That makes sense to me, and in theory it should work!  ???

biddleboy

Phaeton":dvkma3kq said:
Kev,
That's spot on as far as I can see & my limit is very much near yours on this one.

Steve,

What make is the temp gauge is it an old style Smith's one?

Alan...
thanks guys you were all on the same track took it back to the moto quip shop and they give me some universal adapters to screw in place of the old sender so i can use the sender that come with the gauge as the sender is set for that gauge will try that and let you all no how i get on with it alan it is an auto gauge electrical not a smiths it just glows up really nice so i bought it found that's the only thing it does ha :D ha

Phaeton

Staff member
Was only asking about it being a Smiths as they work on 10V so you need to fit a voltage stabiliser if you try to run straight off loom then they will read too high.

Alan...

biddleboy

Phaeton":aeolgrap said:
Was only asking about it being a Smiths as they work on 10V so you need to fit a voltage stabiliser if you try to run straight off loom then they will read too high.

Alan...
well the power runs off the loom but the sensor is seprate just started to fit the new sendor but not tried it yet the bloke at the shop said it should work with the proper sendor