The Next Generation

Baloo

hello chaps

been a bit quite at work lately, like the rest of the planet ::)  and one of my pals who races a porshe 944 asked me if l would strip a 944 for him to get it acid dipped and then rebiult into a race car for next year, that bits not relervant except it explains why l have a 944 in the garage being stripped to a bare shell,

l have looked at the 944 before as a doner for a buggy, they are not as dear as you might think, there is some on ebay around the £100 -£200 mark  :eek:
there are several things about the 944 that made me think about it as a buggy doner, the back axle is the same as the vw beetle but made from alliminium and fitted with disc brakes instead of drums, the beetle axle has been used millions of times in baja buggies and uva fugatives etc so nice and strong and able to take a beating offroad,

next the gearbox, its at the back  :eek: probally simalar to a beetle box except the engine is in the front and thats the bit l like,  50  50 wieght distribution,  the engine is connected to the gear box by means of a prop inside a tube ( torque tube ) clutch and flywheel is on the back of the engine as per normal, the way the torque tube bolts to the back of the engine is with 4 bolts and a flate plate, nice and easy to convert to another engine , nothing wrong with the porshe one except its very tall, some thing like a subaru would be easy to bolt up and would be very low allowing a very low bonnet line, essential in my view for a cool looking buggy ??

hers a few pics of the one in my garage at the moment, what do you think, has it got merrit ??

944gearbox002.jpg

944gearbox004.jpg

944gearbox013.jpg

944gearbox005.jpg

944gearbox010.jpg

944gearbox012.jpg

944gearbox019.jpg

jason_l

Baloo,

You my friend are a complete legend!!!!!!!

I have been following your buggy build thread and its just amazing! like no other words for it, you really know your stuff mate and the build is just second to none! Im now following this as well.

makes me just feel like mine is a bag o'............ :(

Baloo

jason_l":2pu1wflj said:
Baloo,

You my friend are a complete legend!!!!!!!

I have been following your buggy build thread and its just amazing! like no other words for it, you really know your stuff mate and the build is just second to none! Im now following this as well.

makes me just feel like mine is a bag o'............ :(

hi Jason, nothing wrong with your biuld mate, l quite like the wide rear end look, seems to suit it well, makes the buggy look agressive and stuck to the road, besides l think that extra width will come in handy when the turbo kicks  in, just need to keep an eye out for hooking a  back wheel on a gate post  :)
if you get it finished for next summer you are welcome to bring it up here if you want to test it of the public highway, plenty of wide open space here to use,

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Not sure about cutting one up, you've got me considering putting one on the road.

Alan...

Baloo

Phaeton":84f36zjb said:
Not sure about cutting one up, you've got me considering putting one on the road.

Alan...

l know the the feeling Alan  ;) since l have started stripping this one they have grown on me a bit, never really looked at them before but they have some good points, like they will take a nice big V8 without to much trouble  ;D loads of companies do conversions on them all the bits are available to do ls1 conversions, or maybe a home grown rover 4lt ?
now l have the engine out of this one it looks like an old saab engine to me ??
theres one just down the road from me thats on ebay now, l might have a stab at it if it stays cheap, then l would have some bits to layout for a new buggy design  ::)

ps  whats a hyperlink ??

Mini Mad Max

Hyperlink is just a clicky link to another site. You can insert them in your threads on here by clicking on the "insert hyperlink" button which looks like a little globe. Then you just copy paste the link of the website inbetween the: "" That you get by clicking on the "insert hyperlink" button. Hope that helps.

All you need now to complete your collection of workshops, grasstracks and offroad play areas is a small tarmac race track :D
Max

Baloo

Mini Mad Max":31xro1o4 said:
Hyperlink is just a clicky link to another site. You can insert them in your threads on here by clicking on the "insert hyperlink" button which looks like a little globe. Then you just copy paste the link of the website inbetween the: "" That you get by clicking on the "insert hyperlink" button. Hope that helps.

All you need now to complete your collection of workshops, grasstracks and offroad play areas is a small tarmac race track :D
Max

haha sorry max, l know this sounds bad but there is a tarmac area  ::)
when they biult the motorway nearby they served a stopping  up order on the lane that goes up to my barn to get themselves out of the up keep of the road since it only goes to my barn now, that means the road became mine several years ago, so now and then we do use it for  racing on

offroadbuggy646.jpg

offroadbuggy625.jpg

offroadbuggy254-1.jpg

pilotducks234.jpg

pilotducks209.jpg

pilotducks232.jpg

pilotducks207.jpg

pilotducks208.jpg

pilotducks191.jpg

pilotducks324.jpg

pilotducks203.jpg

pilotducks218.jpg

pilotducks181.jpg

dust3.jpg

pilotducks172.jpg

Danny

Administrator
Andy,

Can I rob your photos again? For the new site?

I have to ask everytime....

Cheers

Danny

Baloo

wurzell":2mvx85ov said:
Just about wide enough for the Ambulance!!??....
no problem getting an ambulance in, l have a low loader in now and then to pick the excavator up, besides l have mowed a big "H" in the grass field should we need the air ambulance,   ;)
l think we take saftey reasonably seriously every one who has a go has a helmet and harnesses on or they dont get ago,

and you would'nt catch us larking about, drifting round corners or airborne  ::)  
well you might ::)

800pilot241-1.jpg

800pilot025.jpg

marksfield106.jpg

marksfield125.jpg

20090311-231603.jpg

jps027.jpg

lightweight_054_medium_102.jpg

178.jpg

widewheels006.jpg

theres a few pics for you Danny, use what ever you want,

in fact this link should take you to my photobucket acc where there should be 50 + pages  for you to rumage through

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh311/andyhaycock/

Angel Boy

Baloo":3j0y6924 said:
l know the the feeling Alan  ;) since l have started stripping this one they have grown on me a bit, never really looked at them before but they have some good points, like they will take a nice big V8 without to much trouble  ;D loads of companies do

Here is my Porsche ignorance showing now but isn't a 928 a 944 with a big V8 in?  My mate has just got an old 928 and looking at the pictures above and his the only visual difference I can see is that the 928 has round pop up headlights versus the square ones on the 944????

Andy

Baloo

hi Andy
  in essence you are right the 928 is a big version of a 944, but there is a very big cost difference, 944's can be had for acouple of hundred pounds while the 928 seems to still command thousands, the back end of the 928 is very different to the 944 visually, l think people have suceeded in installing the 928 engine in the 944 buts its a bit of a mission, steering in particular conflicts with the exhaust mainifold on the one side, and l cant imagine bits for a porsche V8 engine are going to be cheap although l dont think they ever wear out,

Andy

Angel Boy

Baloo":3dqnwyj1 said:
hi Andy
  in essence you are right the 928 is a big version of a 944, but there is a very big cost difference, 944's can be had for acouple of hundred pounds while the 928 seems to still command thousands, the back end of the 928 is very different to the 944 visually, l think people have suceeded in installing the 928 engine in the 944 buts its a bit of a mission, steering in particular conflicts with the exhaust mainifold on the one side, and l cant imagine bits for a porsche V8 engine are going to be cheap although l dont think they ever wear out,

Andy

Ah, ok.  I know my mate has got one, but I think I prefer the looks of a 944, there is something about the 928 that just isn't right so I am not sure why the price swings so much between the two  ???

You can get patent parts for the 928 V8, but they still cost (comparatively) a fortune.  He is finding it cheaper to buy in the states and get them shipped over including the customs piece on top.

Cool.

Andy