To MOT or not to MOT... that is the question?

MattBlack

Spoke to Swansea the first time... "Yes sir.. to register your kit car with an age related plate with an age related plate you now need an MOT cetificate"

Read the MAC certificate issues at SVA.. it says the vehicle meets UK road legal requirments.....HMMMM?

Spoke to Swansea Supervisor Person... "I'm not sure what your local will say to that Sir.. but my book of rules says that to register your kit car with an age related plate you need an MOT.. you should check with your local office.. who you can't phone.. you need to go in and ask"

HMMMM?

Anybody actually know the rules ... that i could perhaps quote when i go in to visit them?

RichardG

I have registered 2 kit cars at Worcester DVLA office both with an age related plate and both had to have an MOT certificate issued on the chasis number before they would issue a registration number.

I will be getting my buggy MOT'd before going to the DVLA as I know they will ask for it.

The MOT test covers things that the SVA test does not e.g. tyres. You will pass the SVA test with bold tyres so long as the tyres have the correct speed rating. There is not SVA requirement for a horn but there is for MOT.

Have to admit that it is a pain but I do feel better for having my local mechanic/garage have a good look over the buggy before I take it on the road.

Richard

MattBlack

Good point..

I'm kind of becomming resigned to having to have an MOT done.. but as you say.. it's no bad thing really.

Phaeton

Staff member
Well you know I didn't & as far as I am aware there is no requirement for the kitcar to have one. I have not been able to find a definative rule on it & it appears to be down to the DVLA office in your area. There are some people on locostbuilders.co.uk that are adamant you do not need one & have argued with DVLA over it. Done a search on the site for "dvla leeds" & got a mixed bag of results. Might post a question as to where they are getting the information that you do not need one.

This is a typical post http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=71640

Alan...

funbuggydave

Have never MOTd one myself before registering at Exeter, and all have been on age related plates, must have done 5 or 6 now, and yes its a REAL PAIN that you can't contact them direct, last one took 5, yes 5 trips to get it sorted out :evil:
Eventually got form to allow me to get plates at 4pm on Friday before I left for the IMM on Sunday, so no shakedown run then..........

MattBlack

Got the sodding MOT done in the end.. picked up a couple of bits, so not a bad thing all told... But now the DVLA want another 3.. yes 3 WEEKS before the can get an inspector out..

funbuggydave

See if you can take it to them, it's bl**dy rediculous, I was told 4 week wait, took it down to them, which I didn't want to do out of principle, inspection took less than 5 mins, didn't even want to see the engine number, just asked if that was the engine in there :?
May be a pain in the @rse, but it will probably be quicker
Dave

Phaeton

Staff member
Had a message from Matt today, he was in DVLA Leeds he's been told they have forced the inpsector on leave for 3 weeks. He's now Booked it into Sheffield Wednesday morning, it's unreal you couldn't write a script this pathetic, and worst of all we pay them f@@kin Civil Servants.

Alan...

hmalan

Hey,

Less of the F@@@in civil servants, I am one you know !!!

And I will have you know that it is very difficult spending your days trying to think up how to be awkward

Well at least I am one until the 14th September when I leave, then on the 17th September I join the real world again

MattBlack

ROFL..PMSL..CRY OUT IN ANGUISH!

Well.. no disrespect to Civil Servants currently engaged in Freestyle self build projects ... but you could NOT script the saga of me trying to register my buggy!

Went to DVLA sheffield this morning.. to be describled as a DVLA Leeds "cast off"... generally treated like sh1t .. and told that i DIDN'T needs the sodding MOT!

HO HUM! bite your tongue .. registatation document on it's way... NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. They were far too busy to do it while i waited... sending it snail mail.. :cry:

Will i ever get a registration number? currently taking bets a 4:1 on

RichardG

Unbelievable !

Hope I have more luck. Off to DVLA Worcester in half an hour for my inspection and hope to leave with Tax disc & reg number. Into Halfords on the way home for the number plates ??

Fingers crossed

Richard

collie

Alex carefully takes notes...
Don't go to DVLA in Sheff or Leeds

I wish you luck Matt, the post office will go on strike next and when you finally receive the documents the dog will eat them!! :lol:

Richard di you have better luck than Matt?

Phaeton

Staff member
Sheffield wasn't too bad with me, but then I wasn't a West Yorks cast-off :lol: :lol:

One thing I have learnt out of all of this is, once you're nearly ready for the road & before you have an SVA test you can start the registration process & engage the DVLA. The inspection can be before the SVA so once it's done there should be no hold-up.

Alan...

MattBlack

Sorry it's taken a while to update you all the ongoing saga..... but i've been a bit tied up the last few days..............

DRIVING MY ROAD LEGAL... FULLY REGISTERED BUGGY!!!

The Postman came through without being mauled by a Doberman and delivered my paperwork on Thursday.

WE ARE RUNNING! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

See you all at Donnington

RichardG

Great news - we will see you at Donnington - bet your having just as much fun as we are. We have clocked up 160 miles this weekend and 30 of those were Matt driving it round a field :D :D :D

Richard

MattBlack

Yeah .. I'd be interested to know just how many of us there are on the road .. it would be great to get them all at one meet.

I've done about 150 miles since i got the plates made.. & loved every single one of them.

I've never seen my little lad with as big a smile on his face as when he got his first dash down a little country lane near us. Getting to know the beast now, so we've been having a bit of fun on the twistys :twisted:

I have to say though, it does handle great, sticks to the road like the proberbial to a blanket.

Bring on Curborough!

MattBlack

amazingly yes... the contact details for the guy who books the track should be with me later today.. My sisters other half wants to book the circuit for early october so we might be able to do half a day for him half a day for us sort of thing.. he's gonna get numbers for his lot, so i guess i need to know who'd be up for it from the buggy croud.