Uk Buggy Tour 2008

Phaeton

Staff member
"Hoagy"":3bmrlib3 said:
have this slightly crazy notion of trying to follow the coast line right the way around britain in the buggy the thought of all those little lines on the map is almost iresistable.

That sounds a great plan for next year.

Alan,,,

Asbo

"collie"":310zkmv8 said:
You know the worst thing about the Scottish summer is those damn midges! :x

only deterrent i know that actually works in keeping midgies away is 'skin so soft'...from Avon.and it seems they get bigger/nastier the farther northwest you are.(midgies that is). :lol:

collie

If we're planning a "round the UK" trip next summer, and I have my buggy built by then, count me in! :p
...and Wullie, I'm glad you noted the midges, I thought you were talking about theh Avon representatives! :lol:

funbuggydave

What about doing it in 2009 and ending up at the IMM in Birmingnam, 50th birthday of the Mini and all that, if not and it goes ahead next year I could still be up for it
Dave

Hoagy

Have started on a general route starting at my place of course but maybe we could join the route from our home bases and just go as far as wanted picking up as we go along? any suggestions of must go to places trying to keep to the coastline? lands end and john o groats a definate already. Also good places to add as overnight stops and the ones to avoid. I am thinking of keeping a fairly gentle pace but would like some idea of what daily mileage would be good.

MattBlack

I'd be up for this one definately!... We drove across America a few years back, and even with the distances covered, it was one of the best trips i've ever taken.

The circumference of the UK is ROUGHLY 2500 miles, so from this you can easily work out how many miles you need to run in a day.... if you have a duration!

Assuming that everyone works / has family / has other committments, then i would guess that we are looking at a holiday type timescale.

Quick maths...

To do it in 5 days, we'd need to travel 500 miles a day
To do it in 7 days, we'd need to travel 357 miles a day
To do it in 14 days, we'd need to travel 178 miles a day

The other handy thing would be if everyone interested in going had Autoroute. We could then e-mail the route around, and add home locations, meet up points, pubs to head for, pubs to avoid, pubs that do accomadation, pubs that let you sleep on the bar, decent off licences, petrol stations that sell beer .... etc

MattBlack

Christ.. just to get a rough idea, I've plotted a route from Lands End to the Erskine bridge hugging the west coast as tight as possible and its unbelievably 1500 miles!!

So i guess my first measure at 2500 right round was a good bit short.

MattBlack

Yeah... just a bit short.. LOL

Hugging the coast from Lands End to Lands End... picking 376 points on Autoroute to keep it as close to the coast as i could be bothered to...

3928Miles!

5 Days.... 785 miles a day
7 Days.... 561 miles a day
14 Days.. 280 miles a day

MattBlack

Just for a bit of perspective... it would a similar distance as driving to MOSCOW................. and BACK :shock:

MattBlack

Reduced the route down to 40 of the main coastal towns/cities around the UK... so we're now looking at mainly A roads and some Motorways...

Still 2900 miles... :?

RichardG

:lol: :lol:

At 40 mpg I get that to £450 in fuel

Would probably need to change my insurance as I think it is restricted to 3000 miles a year. :D :D

Might be a bit too big a trip for me to do in one go - How about a relay ?? and raise some money for charity as we go??

Richard

collie

Rather than a 100% coastal route, could we start at John O'Groats, then zig zag accross the country taking in some major landmarks and some coastal routes and end up in lands end?
I did a quick ready reckoner and avoiding motorways, Lands end to John O'Groats is only 900 miles, that's 24 hrs driving...

Richards Idea of making it a Charity event ain't a bad idea too!

esdebe

licing in the middle of the country I'd get to see everything twice.... But sounds good, doubt I'll be allowed thoiugh, my priorities will have to change next year.... Still going to do the shows though.

Hoagy

the milages are scary but got to be worth it, its the idea of always looking to the right and always seeing the sea (im going clockwise) is amazing. might have to round a few of the more crinckly bits of the coastline of to avoid going back on myself. funny that moscow should come up as i have just been invited over there with the missus but the suggestion that we drive in the bug has been met with a stony silence, this also means that the long way home road tour will have to be 2009 which would fit well with the imm and will give more time for planning.

R1FREESTYLE

If I am finished with the build I be up for the relay option. Could do the Midlands section with Richard.

As per the costal route:
If you were going clockwise wouldn't you look left to the sea??? Or am I missing something? :roll:

Phaeton

Staff member
Well how's about meeting up in Edinburgh & going anti-clockwise just round Scotland we can call in at John O'Groat's, that's probably enough for 7 days traveling.

Just done a quick check, from home via Edinburgh, Aberdeen, John O'Groats, Ullapool, Oban, Glasgow & back home comes in around 1300 miles, so over 7 days 200 miles each which is doable.

Alan...

Steve

I am up for the trip aswell, but not sure if I could get 2 weeks away from the family. The trip would probably go down better if it was for charity.
I like the idea of finishing at the IMM in Birmingham. (Not just because it would only be about 20 min's from home).
Would you be looking for B&B or camping? Just thinking about amount of luggage. Having seen what some people took to Donnington, I doubt if the buggy would be able to take enough for two weeks even with a trailer.

Phaeton

Staff member
"Steve"":282ajqzm said:
I am up for the trip aswell, but not sure if I could get 2 weeks away from the family. The trip would probably go down better if it was for charity.
Not much of a chance of me getting 2 weeks, that's why I suggested a shorter 7-9 days
I
I like the idea of finishing at the IMM in Birmingham. (Not just because it would only be about 20 min's from home).
But that's not till 2009 if I'm right
IWould you be looking for B&B or camping? Just thinking about amount of luggage. Having seen what some people took to Donnington, I doubt if the buggy would be able to take enough for two weeks even with a trailer.
What do you mean we took a lot of stuff LOL, just because we brought a Toyota Surf fully loaded for 1 night. I'm easy either way, but the wife's been saying that for years.

Alan....

Hoagy

just to make it more interesting i thought i could reverse around, but no it was just my head on backwards whilst typing sorry. the sea will be on the left

Danny

Administrator
Hello,

I raised just short of £1k last year for Down SYndrome that was just doing the POland IMM.

I am always up for a road trip, but next year will be the year I can do it as me and jane are off on our travels in 2009 with a bit of luck.

Danny