Welding

Danny

Administrator
I think it is about time I learnt to weld and learn the right way :)

MIG welding is popular but I think Tig welding is the way forward at least then I can weld up Aluminium and Stainless steel :)

Has anyone ever Tig welded before? WHat do I need to buy?

Danny

Mini Mad Max

Lets hope Steve still visits the site since he's sold mary, as he would be your man to ask about welding! I am only capable with the point and shoot operation of MIG welding :p

Danny

Administrator
lol I have watched tonnes of videos on tig and it does not look too bad... just need to know what to buy and what it can do... then I will practice :)

yeah lets hope steve does come back :)

Paul

Tig welding on mild and stainless is not to bad but aluminium is a real acquired art particularly on thinner gauges. To learn tig you really do need to go on a course or find an experienced welder with time and patience.

Danny

Administrator
Yeah I got some good friends who are tig welders so shouod be good...

Welders are mega money...lol need a 200amp ac dc one...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Paul

I have a Kemppi Mastertig 1600 which does everything I could ask of it. As an added bonus it also has a pulse feature which helps with thinner materials

Danny

Administrator
Well I am off to another welding supplies company and will hopefully doing a deal on a ac dc tig welder... I am pretty much saying goodbye to £1k and a bit but I think it will be worth it in the end....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Paul

thats about what i paid for mine. Once you get the hang of it you will be looking for stainless and aluminium things to make for the buggy. I really went to town on mine.

''Left a Bit''

Mild and especially stainless are a beaut to weld with a TIG, no splatter to worry about lots of control, the only issue is take far longer to just tack stuff up and it's much more fussy about cleanliness as the tungsten can get contaminated as well as the work from stuff that would normally just boil off with MIG (fingerprint grease, etc).

Ally is an art though, we've done plenty of ally on the buggy since we started playing with the TIG, but much lower than 2mm can be a pain.

Danny

Administrator
Yeah everybody has said that Tig welding is a joy to do... just getting a decent tig is like £1200... I have even tried haggling the dealers but no joy :-(

We shall see what the coming months bring :)