where do I get the SVA form?

alaskanow

I am now at the end of my build. I have my £158, but cant find the form to fill in and send off to arrange my SVA. Also do I need to register the buggy with DVLA? I have just had a insurance quote, £191 fully comp and was planning on driving to the SVA. How long does the process take and when would you recommend I insure the buggy. Just read on DAX website you are allowed the drive to a prearranged MOT or SVA without Reg Plates or Road Tax.

hmalan

Go on the VOSA website, FORMS, VEHICLE TESTS then SVA application form.

You can drive to the SVA without registration or road tax but you will need insurance, they insure you on the chassis No.

Once you have passed the SVA you arrange an inspection through your local DVLA after which you get you reg details etc.

Phaeton

Staff member
"hmalan"":eu19c5a7 said:
You can drive to the SVA without registration or road tax but you will need insurance, they insure you on the chassis No.
You can also drive to pre-arranged appointment with the DVLA to have it inspected. For sake ob Police involvement I would carry insurance certificate & letter of appointment to any venue
"hmalan"":eu19c5a7 said:
Once you have passed the SVA you arrange an inspection through your local DVLA after which you get you reg details etc.
You don't have to wait until after SVA to get it inspected by the DVLA, if I was doing another I would be submitting my forms to the DVLA at the same time if not before VOSA as they are a nightmare to deal with.

Nottingham SVA are great, Sheffield DVLA are not too good, but I have heard that Nottingham DVLA are at VOSA at Nottingham on Fridays so you might be able to kill two birds with one stone. Other than that Nottingham SVA isn't too far from the SVA site.

Alan...

alaskanow

So whats needed for the DLVA inspection? Do I need to send off any forms/ pay any more money? How long did it take for Vosa to arrange a SVA from when you sent off your SVA Application.

I am planning on taking the buggy for a MOT on Monday, at my friends garage. Hopefully it will pass!!

Alan, I have finished with your metal bar. I could bring it back over the next couple of days. If I was to bring my buggy over to yours would you look over it, to see if I have missed anything for the SVA, as I picked up my trailer today.

Thanks Matt

Phaeton

Staff member
"alaskanow"":1quf7gsq said:
I am planning on taking the buggy for a MOT on Monday,
STOP DO NOT PASS GO DO NOT COLLECT £200.

You DO NOT need an MOT unless of course you want to, but there is no legal reason to do so, despite what you may have heard.

As to bringing it over sure no problem, tomorrow would be best purely & simply as it can be done in daylight. Failing that Mon, tues or Wed is okay, Thurs getting ready for holiday & away from Friday.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
You've got the number I'm around all day I think, as to inspection I did mine at Sheffield. I went in with the paperwork after I had done my SVA & was told i would be contacted in 5 days, after 5 days nothing so I went in to ask what was happening, I was told i would have to wait another 10 days. After a little discussion I came home put the buggy on the dolly, took it to them & they inspected it & gave me may documents in about an hour & a half, they weren't happy bunnies about doing it but I wasn't going away.

Alan...

RichardG

When I got my appointment with DVLA Worcester for the inspection prior to registration they said in the letter that the vehicle had to be trailored to the DVLA site and offloaded prior to inspection. They said in the letter it was an offense to drive it.

I think I still have the letter. I will dig it out and scan it.

Richard

hmalan

This debate has taken place on a number of other sites, I think it was Locost builders forum where someone posted the actual extract from the regulations which stated that it was legal to drive to or from a DVLA office for the purpose of obtaining a first registration of the vehicle.

I will try and dig it out later

Alan

esdebe

Yes, but most insurance policies would not cover this trip... They usualy say that you can drive it to / from MOT or SVA but for NO other purposes until it is Taxed and registred...

To legaly drive it on the public road, it MUST be insured and if your insurance is not valid for that journey then you it should not be on the road.

Simon

Phaeton

Staff member
Not sure, when I took mine out they didn't specify what & where I could go, but I would ask the question & not just assume it was covered.

Alan...

Asbo

just to add my tuppence-worth(from the breakdown side of things)..... should a members vehicle be covered for breakdown/recovery......if its un-taxed(for whatever reason)then its not getting repaired/recovered unless they pay the going rate,which could be rather expensive in middle england on a busy motorway? just going from past experience,we have been informed by most motoring 'clubs' that.....'by repairing or recovering a stricken vehicle which is not road legal(untaxed fits this cat) then we are actually aiding/abbeting a crime'

personally,i'd rather pocket a monkey and it never happened?