You remember that Tomcat on Ebay?

owelly

Greetings folks.
I've just become the new custodian of that Onyx Tomcat that was on Ebay a while ago. The one that was built and passed the SVA test but missed the deadline to register it so now needs an IVA.
So far my plans are to drop a 1.8 K-series in it (with a view to upgrade to a turbo later) and see if it works as a track day car and then possibly aim for an IVA test. It would be nice to know what needs changing to get it through the IVA so if anyone has done it, it would be handy for some pointers!!
in the meantime, I'll have a wander about in here and see what the score is. Is there a coffee machine?
TIA.

ChaosMS

Hello and Welcome Owelly, sounds like you have some serious plans for the tomcat looking forward to seeing the pictures of the project in the projects section of the forum, as for the IVA I got my buggy through it 12 months ago, the main thing is read the IVA manual (Link on this forum for it) then read it all a few more times, then go over the whole car with a fine tooth comb, a lot of it is common sense a lot of it is about edge protrusion, Make sure your vehicle is well presented cables and pipes clipped in place etc - First impressions count for a lot on the test, if it looks like a death trap they will rip it apart (Dont forget they are allowed to dismantle any part of, or the whole vehicle if they deem it necessary) And NEVER EVER argue with the tester, I found the guys in Carlisle really good and if you talk to them they are keen to help!!

ANyway good luck with the conversion, get those pics posted and then everyone here can offer suggestions on helping you through the test (Apart from Max!!!! ROFLMAO)

Rich

Phaeton

Staff member
Must have missed that one, does it have the roof? put up plenty of pictures, both Danny & myself are running Freestyles with K-Series fitted, not quite sure what a Tomcat looks like at the back, it's a while since I've seen one, I think there are 2 versions, one used the Mini A series rear subframe & the later ones used the Metro A series subframe.

owelly

Thanks for the welcome guys.
My Tomcat has a Metro rear subframe but I've got the K-series sat on the MGTF subframe so I'm hoping to stuff the entire subframe up the blunt end. I'm familiar with the IVA so as soon as I get the buggy in my garage, I'll have a crawl around it.

I may be changing the front suspension a bit to make it a bit more trackday-friendly and then see if I can find the cash for the IVA test.

Here's the Ebay linky from when my mate bought it..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Onyx-Tomcat-M ... 7675.l2557

Phaeton

Staff member
Should be pretty easy on the back of that, there is another one based in the Wirral area Colin is his name Herman is his username, not been around for a while though. Not sure where you are, go into your profile & give us a clue. The guy your mate bought it off also used to be on here, username NW208 if you want to search out his posts. But like all forums unless there is a picture it didn't happen, so I figure you haven't bough it :D

Danny

Administrator
Welcome along ;-)

A k series is plenty of power ;-₩

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

250buggys

There was an Onyx Tomcat for sale on ebay when I first started looking in 2014 which I considered but was going for 1K with no engine and no log book, was up north somewhere.

The owner said the pics were taken at the time it was in good condition but when put up for sale the rust had set in.

2.JPG

1.JPG

5.JPG

Phaeton

Staff member
owelly":3afamlgq said:
Location added to profile.......
I'll get some piccies lobbed into photobucket and post them up soon.
Anyhoo, I found this linky for when I stuffed a big engine in a little plastic car. 240bhp and the car weighs 610kg. It's jolly good fun.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthr ... tid=145416
LOL love it, I have a MK1 MR2 with a V6 3L in, but it's only making 180bhp(ish) I did threaten to put the Rover/MG 2.5L V6 in the back of the Freestyle this winter but just haven't time.

That picture above is the Freestyle copy, what I understand is a Tomcat is one that looks like

100_1234.jpg

Which should make it very easy to remove the A series Metro frame & replace with the MGF one.

Phaeton

Staff member
Lilspeed":35epj6zz said:
Phaeton":35epj6zz said:
I have a MK1 MR2 with a V6 3L in,

:eek:
How and why have I not heard about this Alan?!!

I'm currently looking for a V6 donor for my Mk2 ;)
Sorry I'll put a few pictures, I cheated though I bought it built but with problems, have you found you way over to twobrutal? I did know of a nice Camry that was for sale, but I'm sure it's gone now.

250buggys

I was at the IMECHE in London the other day on a course and when you walk in the door there is a supercharged 5.0L V8 Jag engine in reception. That would be a nice donor for a kit car...

DSC_1739.JPG

Phaeton

Staff member
Did you not try to explain to them that it should not be sitting there as an ornament an engine should be run, just like a car should be driven

Lilspeed

Phaeton":3jc9s61m said:
Sorry I'll put a few pictures, I cheated though I bought it built but with problems, have you found you way over to twobrutal? I did know of a nice Camry that was for sale, but I'm sure it's gone now.

I'd love to see it, bet a V6 in a nice light little Mk1 is fun!
I have recently registered on Twobrutal, but haven't had a proper look around yet.
Camry or Rx300 is on the shopping list, just waiting for one at the right price.

Sorry for the thread hijack Owelly! Looking forward to seeing some pics of the Tomcat.

owelly

Worry not about the hi-jack. I often wander off-topic as I can't seem to concentration camps were terrible places......
Incidentally, the Lexus RX300 is a lovely lump (I bought one just before Christmas) but is there a manual 'box available as all RX300 were automatics?

Phaeton

Staff member
I do remember it now, he brought it to Stoneleigh the year before I think, then took it back for the SVA which it passed, but it was in the swap over year between SVA & IVA so when he went with the documents in March to register/tax it they refused as they said the certificate had run out on 31t December.

Lilspeed

Looks like a fun bit of kit! And that Magenta with the thumping great V6 in must have been a handful!? :D
There's a few of us on here who have got our buggies through IVA. I think the biggest headache for most of us was the fuel tank location, but in the end it's just a matter of jumping through the right hoops ;) Have a look round the build threads and get yourself one going!

The RX300 does only come in auto flavour as far as I know, but the MR2 manual 'box can be adapted to fit ;)

250buggys

Good luck with your project.

I would be tempted to stick an engine in there and get it through the iva test before modifying it. It looks like a maticulas build.

Looking forward to see your progress, it's good to see there are a few projects on this forum at the moment. It helps with motivation.