Youth Project Tarmac Buggy - Please Help!

FlyingBanana

The video on this site - Funbuggies Freestyle Buggy Autotester - is it by chance possible to contact the chap who modified the buggy to find out what suspension spec he used and whether the buggy has an LSD or locked diff?
I am involved in a project to help school leavers to earn their first job and need to construct a smooth-tarmac-only buggy that can spin on-the-spot. I presume the buggy in question has very firm suspension and possibly a locked diff. Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Mini Mad Max

Hello and welcome along!
I'm sure I read somewhere that he had an LSD. Also, you can just get adjustable shock absorbers and find the most ideal firmness setting to get the desired handling. I know that that particular autotest freestyle had hydraulic handbrake/fiddle brakes.
Hope that helps!
Max

FlyingBanana

Hi Max, thanks for the info. I assumed the use of a LSD as the car appears very happy to spin on the spot with no wheel lifting and consequent loss of drive, yet it seems to 'turn in' beautifully (as opposed to understeering or being pushed forward). I am looking at various power plants and so far the cost of LSDs is prohibitive - thus I wondered about a locked diff - effectively a kart, but am concerned as to understeer for those who can't flick or handbrake to break the back end free! I also wondered, since it is intended for very smooth tarmac, if I could again minic a kart and go for fixed/solid suspension! Do you think anyone will have experience on locked diffs and solid suspension? Thanks again for your responce. Ian.

Mini Mad Max

LSD's are indeed very expensive, perhaps try looking for engines that were factory fitted with them. I know of some 1.8 vtec honda civics being factory fitted with them. A Locked diff would be cheaper. I have alwasy seen them as a bit of a bodge though as i think it just involves welding or jamming the planetary gears inside the diff. A kart format would work well. I've tried out a kadet racing series kart out around a carpark once, It was very easy to slide and spin just with flicks and a heavy right foot. So building something similar would work well i imagine.
This is the build diary of that autotest freestyle, It may help you with a few ideas: http://www.miniregister.com/ArticleFreestyleBuildPart1.html

Max

FlyingBanana

Hi Max, once again thanks for your help. I'll checkout the build diary for sure. My dilemma is that I need a dual-spec car: 1) that drivers who use their cars to get the shopping from Tesco will be able to handle (ie not understeer off and scare them to death) -- AND -- 2) a car that red-blooded motor sport nuts can let off steam in (using the rear wheels to steer the car – as God intended!). Thanks again - and Merry X'mas!