A series

wally1

can anyone tell me if the mini gearbox can be fitted to any A series engines ie:- spitfire,herald,midget etc :)

Phaeton

Staff member
wally1":y0v9wiyf said:
can anyone tell me if the mini gearbox can be fitted to any A series engines ie:- spitfire,herald,midget etc :)

Strange question Wally1, Spitfire & Herald are Triumph so had a completely different engine altogether, bit like today saying would a Astra engine fit in a Focas. But the Midget did have an A-Series engine, just a different type as it's in-line as opposed to transverse, the gearbox will not fit.

Alan...

wally1

thanks Alan i know it sounds a daft question , it all started when i was seaching ebay for a hif38 carb and out of the blue up pops a midget eng in really good nick it was a 1500 and was complete with twin carbs ,the lot, with 2mins 30 sec to go it just got me thinking , shall i,sharnt i,in the end i dident but i thought i would ask as it seems everything is the same except there is a sump instead of a gearbox . i also thought that since hearld and spitfires were all bmc they were the same, cheers anyway wal