Age related plate, or Q plate which one?!

What have all you guys done with the registration, gone for a Q plate or an age related plate?

• 'Q' Plate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Age related plate

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Mini Mad Max

I am really confused now, Which one is easier and which one do you guys prefer, and which one have you guys done?
Im in a cookie :-\
Max

Angel Boy

Max,
Providing the rules haven't changed, I don't think you get the choice.  If you provide enough evidence that proves to the DVLA that the car you have built is based upon a single donor then you get an age related plate (it is why V5 documents are so highly prized amongst builders  ;D ).  If you don't care then don't provide the evidence.  Of course you'll need something to prove the engine age as this effects the emissions tests.  I think the DVLA use a points based system to qualify for an age related plate, each major assembly scores you points and you have to get over a certain amount to qualify etc.

I think it is only insurance companies who get excited about Q plates.

Does this help?

Andy

Mini Mad Max

Yeh thanks andy, I think i just needed to calm down because i got my knickers in a twist lol! I think if i don't have much choice then i will go for age related plates (YES! ;D) but i don't know if it will be affected like Simon wrote in another thread about it needing a cat to meet old car regs and DVLA regs.
Max  :D

Angel Boy

If the age of your donor was late enough to be one of the ones fitted with a cat to meet the emissions etc then your buggy will have to have a cat fitted and have the filler restrictor thing fitted also so you can only fit the unleaded nozzle to your tank.  If it is of pre-cat age, then I believe you'll not need a cat or a restrictor thing.

If you are worried then give you local test centre a call and they'll be able to clarify.

If I remember what happened with my Hood:
  • I got a damaged Sierra with a V5
  • Stripped it
  • Ground of any form of identification from the chasis
  • Scrapped the chasis but kept the V5 in my name so I was still the registered owner of the car albiet it didn't exist anymore, it was on SORN.  Even if someone got the chasis, they couldn't fill out a V62 to get a V5 as it had no form of ID on it to do so.
  • Got an email from Ford confirming the age of the engine
  • Went for SVA, presented V5 and email from Ford confirming age of donor vehicle
  • Failed SVA
  • Passed re-test
  • Presented to DVLA, V5 (which the took off me to "offically" dispose of the Sierra identity and reg plate), reciept for the kit, a cheque and my MAC (which I forgot to get a copy of  :( )
  • DVLA on the spot gave me a new reg number, interestingly didn't want to inspect the vehicle at all.
  • Couple of weeks later I had in my hand a V5 for my Hood

Now having said all of that I know other Hood builders had a different sequence of events especially around the registering with the local DVLA office.  Some needed the boys in blue to inspect the vehicle mid build to make sure it wasn't stolen etc others needed the vehicle to be inspected by someone from the DVLA office.  Mine was relatively painless and at the end of the day these guys are going to be registering your buggy so you have to play the game even if you don't know the rules.  Just take everything as it comes and treat as being one step closer to the end goal.

Andy

Mini Mad Max

The being one step closer thing is what calmed me down earlier on i just thoght well however it goes it's still one step closer!  :D
Do you mind me asking what a MAC is? Anyway, i nolonger have the mini but have kept the V5C so i'm relaxed and in a good state of mind, few!
I tried that engine date verification link that alan put up a while ago, but it didn't tell me the date, Hopeless! Whats more is that the engine that was in the car was not the original engine, so should i just research what was on the model of the mini, whats more worrying is that site said my engine was a MG Metro engine when i know its not, but they only want to see the engine number lol. Will they just match the engine number to the date of the registration or will they want to know if it's out of a different car and of a certain age? My engine was a standard mini 1275cc with a leaded head so can i work out what that is off? it also had the same gearing as a metro, hmmmm ??? I will do me some research first lol!
Thanks andy,
Max

Edit: I have just researched engine numbers, and have found that my engine number is for a mg metro of  >0ct. 1984 which i presume means up to october 1984. And due to dad saying that Cats didn't come in on caburated cars until "k" reg then i should be just fine!

Angel Boy

Mini Mad Max":121um4gg said:
The being one step closer thing is what calmed me down earlier on i just thought well however it goes it's still one step closer!  :D
Do you mind me asking what a MAC is? Anyway, i no longer have the mini but have kept the V5C so I'm relaxed and in a good state of mind, few!
I tried that engine date verification link that Alan put up a while ago, but it didn't tell me the date, Hopeless! Whats more is that the engine that was in the car was not the original engine, so should i just research what was on the model of the mini, whats more worrying is that site said my engine was a MG Metro engine when i know its not, but they only want to see the engine number lol. Will they just match the engine number to the date of the registration or will they want to know if it's out of a different car and of a certain age? My engine was a standard mini 1275cc with a leaded head so can i work out what that is off? it also had the same gearing as a metro, hmmmm ??? I will do me some research first lol!
Thanks andy,
Max

I can't remember what MAC is an acronym of but it is the bit of paper you are wanting when you pass the SVA/IVA  ;D

Make sure that the engine number you have on the engine, is quoted as being the engine number on the V5 if that makes sense.  This will help with the whole age thing as they are less likely to question the age of the engine in relation to the donor it came from etc.  Alan is probably a good person to speak to on this to see what his experiences of this are for buggy's as mine all relate to building a different type of car that luckily for me the manufacturer is still in business so I could get them to verify the age etc.

I don't think they have the documentation to dig that deep to make sure that engine X is age Y so therefore would be registered to a car of age Z.  What happens if the engine blew up and you had to fit a new engine form the manufacturer etc it would have a later engine number on?

It is a royal pain in the bottom jumping though the hoops on this and some SVA/IVA centres and DVLA offices are great at helping you through the process, but others would be more helpfull if they didn't answer the phone.  If in doubt just ask on here and someone should be able to chip in with some helpful words.

If I'm wrong anything then hopefully someone will chip in and correct me.

Best,
Andy

ps and if it all goes pear shaped, you'll fail the test first time, know what it is you need to do to pass it and get a Q plate  ;)

Phaeton

Staff member
If the engine number on the V5C does not match the one in the virtual car then send the V5C to Swansea with the engine number & capacity modified (if required). They may write to you asking for the receipt for the engine purchase, they never have with me but I have heard of it, then just send them one from your mate who you bought it off who can't remember where it came from. Or depending on how long you have had it send them a letter stating that this is the engine number in the virtual vehicle when you bought it.

When you take it to SVA/IVA they will then use the car age for your emissions. My engine is a 1987 engine (I think) but the donor was originally a 1984 so it was tested as a 1984 so my CO2 had to only be 4.5. Unless your engine is a fuel injected SPI or MPI then it doesn't need a CAT.

MAC I think is Minister's Approval Certificate which once DVLA get's involved disappears never to be seen again.

As Andy says they just put hoops in front of you & you have to jump through them, no point in getting upset or stressed as they have all the cards. I'm going to the retest on Monday with VOSA, DVLA is only 3 miles from there but they have categorically told me they will not inspect it then & I will have to bring it back at a later date, which means a day off work (if I find some) & a 80 mile round trip.

Just a note on Age Vs Q

Age related
if you get an age related then theoretically you won't need a MOT for 3 years, chances are you will have to argue each time you come to tax it as it will say you do. The emissions for the MOT will be based on the donor vehicle age. You can if you want put a cherished plate on the buggy.

Q plated
You will need a MOT at the end of the first year. For SVA you will have to prove the age of the engine so it can be tested. Come MOT time they don't have to do a diagnostic test but just a visual test for smoke. You are stuck with the Q plate it cannot be transferred either off or on.

Preferences
Well realistically as the Buggy is Buggy & not trying to be something else, i.e. not a Porsche or a Cobra or a Seven lookilikey then does it really matter whether it's a Q or not. reason tells me NO but I still want an age related, but if they tell me Monday I can have a Q without coming back I'll take it with both hands.

Alan..

jason_l

The engine i have is a 1994 so im going to need a Catylitic converter in the exhaust system, bit of a pain in the arse but no choice.

I have the V5 with the car, only problem with my car is that alot of the parts are from another donor (1985 mini) so not too sure how this will pan out at IVA time. I might have to find ;) reciepts for the donor parts or buy new parts to replace them so i can try and get a age related plate!

Otherwise my car is going to be a mish mash of Mini/Toyota parts and don't know how well this is going to go down with mister IVA ???

Jason :p

Phaeton

Staff member
Or you could just put the engine in the Mini & then declare the Mini as the sole donor, you don't have to declare it's a Toyota engine, just a 1296 or whatever with engine number xxyyyzzz. Not sure about the CAT but would suspect you still need it, I would fit it then remove later if not required.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Ta guys, the test will be a long way away so i don't have to worry about it! ;D
Max,
I still want an age related plate  ;)

biddleboy

Mini Mad Max":y66gqdam said:
Ta guys, the test will be a long way away so i don't have to worry about it! ;D
Max,
I still want an age related plate  ;)
hi max as all of the above ime going for The age related plate and as for the emissions it didn't come in till 92/93 ive booked up to go back to dvla on Wednesday to reg it i already no about the point sceame and has mine was from a complete donor i should be alright i will know more and let you know on Wednesday the full ins and outs as fingers crossed  mine will all be done apart from that bloody engine cover