Cables through Tank enclosure

Keyz

Hi guys,

Just had a thought, as I understand it the fuel tank cannot make up part of the passenger compartment or the engine compartment and therefore has be enclosed. (I have a tank behind the seats)
Can the electrical wiring run through this enclosure or must I run the cables around the outside?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Phaeton

Staff member
Rich, are you planning to try to IVA it with the tank there? It will fail as it's in the passenger area??

Alan...

Keyz

Hi,

Yes that is the plan... it will fail even if it is enclosed?

If this is the case, where does a man put a fuel tank on an open framed car?

Thanks,
Rich

HolyCount

Keyz":3tlv0swy said:
Hi,

Yes that is the plan... it will fail even if it is enclosed?

If this is the case, where does a man put a fuel tank on an open framed car?

Thanks,
Rich

This is the thorny question  :eek:  In theory you can completely enclose it behind the seats (sort of "tank within a tank" I guess) ensuring it has drain holes to the road. You will have to route cables etc under, over or around.

The big problem arises as to where to put the filler pipe and cap  ???  Some say that the outside of an open frame car is the inside --- as there is no distinct separation --- so, if the filler is too close to the side ( albeit outside) is it deemed to be inside the passenger compartment !!!!!!!

The IVA fuel tank regs are proving to be the equal of a Star Trek temporal  paradox  ;D :-\

Keyz

Ok, so it is allowed behind the seats as long as it's enclosed? What if I were to make some kind of frame out of the same 1" box section that the sides are made from, enclose it in that and then cover the whole lot with aluminium sheet? I think if it were in it's own cage the IVA would be hard pushed arguing that it's still inside the passenger compartment. Obviously the seats would be 1" further forward, but that's an acceptable casualty.

As far as the filler cap goes, I'm thinking a panel from the rear bulkhead to cover the radiator, and then a box with a lid covering the filler itself. That way it will have 2 skins between it and the heat source and technically be in it's own part of the car, neither in the passenger or engine compartments. (as for the overheating problem if I cover the radiator, that panel may accidentally fall off when I get home)

I am sorry for creating another thread which now seems to be running in parallel to the previous fuel tank thread, it won't happen again :)

Thanks,
Rich