collie's E-Bike Build Diary

collie

I got wind today that my parts have arrived, I'm in Poland so quite excited to get home and go and open the box!
So to get the ball rolling, I thought I'd do some introductory blurb:

In the box is an "Easy to install hub motor conversion kit for 26" wheel mountain bike"
It is a brushed front wheel hub motor powered by a 24V  10Ahr Li-Ion battery.  The previous owner bought it in early 2008 and had not been used for six months, although the battery was kept fully charged.  The kit was used for commuting to work and it covered only 405 miles.

The kit contains the wheel with tyre and hub motor, controller, throttle, battery, battery holder, charger, brake levers (optional use), simple rack bag and straps. The battery holder apparently has a tear in the metal where it connects to the seat post and therefore cannot be fixed as it was intended.  However, I'm considering purchasing a full replacement battery holder from Alien bikes.

Originally bought from Alien Electric Bikes AlienBikes.co.uk the only difference to the item listed on the web link is that there is no battery meter, the throttle is a twist grip and the motor is brushed and therefore very quiet in use.

I have been advised to make or buy a torque arm to fit my forks to stop the dropouts from being damaged. (No doubt you'll see some disasters with that in my diary?  :D )
The dropouts are the 'U' shaped lugs usually welded or cast onto the end of the forks into which the wheel axle fits and you bolt against to hold in place.  In use the torque reaction of the axle against the rotation of the wheel bears against the fork lugs. As cycle forks are not designed for these loads there is a risk of the lugs being forced open and the axle spinning, damaging the wiring. To prevent this it is advisable to fit a torque arm over the axle which transfers a lower force further up the fork where it can be more readily supported.

Here's a few snaps of the bits I am getting:

collie

17th August 2009
Over the past week I managed to get a few bits done:
Fixed Wheel motor to front wheel and found that I really need to use some sort of spacer for the dropouts since they're shaped specifically for quick release which i can't fit to my electric wheel.

I purchased a cheap Pannier and fitted it to the rear, the purpose of this is to fix all my equipment to it, since the original mount has a tear and wouldn't fit on the seat column anyway.

I'm considering putting the elctrics in some sort of lunchbox assembly to make it as water tight as possible but am debating whether it's worth while since the unit is supposed to be sealed anyway, plus I don't know how much heat build up the may be ???

Finally, I cut the rubber handlebar grip off the tight side of the handlebar and fitted my twist grip.
I'm a bit annoyed with this since I wanted a thumb throttle and Alien Bikes just sent me another twist grip! (Even though in th eemail i clearly stated "Thumb Throttle")
I've not been invoiced or anything so waiting to see what happens over next few days.

Finally a length of slotted bar was purchased so I can fabricate some lovely brackets to fit the controller assembly.
Coming along nicely methinks...

Again, same as my buggy blog, pictures will come along as soon as I get back to UK long enough to take them!

collie

30th September

Taped up all the wiring, fabricated brackets to fit to the modified housing and mounted the controller assembly.
I re-used the original "bag" that the previous owner used to keep the whole lot waterproof (ish).
Just need to cut off the silly handles as I have bolted through it to the pannier.
Made up a couple of spacers so the nuts would fit nicely on the dropouts and then I was ready for a test run.
Works well on the flat, pulls along but not with a great deal of speed. I felt a lot less pull when going uphill but then the battery had not been charged for a few weeks, but you do notice the help. At least I know there's no chance of breaking any speed limits with this thing!
I just need to fabricate a torque arm now, going to see if I can scab a small piece of 3mm steel plate from our fitters at work.

collie

Almost, I got half way through fabricating the torque arm and never finished it, I'll post up some pics when I find them?