Diff Pin

RichardG

Hi guys, long time since I posted on here.  :-[

Well I planned to compete in loads of car trials this year but the buggy suffered from lots of mechanical problems so we ended up missing most of them and retiring from those we did get to as it kept breaking down.

Handbrake broke,
Gear change problems
Stalling problems
Hot starting problems
Clutch slipping
New clutch fitted - clutch still slipping

So am currently doing a complete rebuild ready for next year. I
picked up a nice 4.1 ratio crown wheel and pinion on e-bay and started fitting it today when I noticed a little wear in the diff pin. See pic. Looks like I caught it just in time but am a bit worried about all the metal filings that will have been floating round in the oil.

Am now going to order an uprated cross pin diff.

Richard

Attachments

• diff pin.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 4,367

Buggybloke

looks like you caught it just in time!.... I had one go about 4 months ago,.... you just loose drive totally, and if you are really unlucky, the transmission locks up too.... not what you want, when barrelling down the motorway at 70 odd mph!... I'm saving up for a new 3.44:1 final drive and cross-pin diff too.
The swarf/filings should have been caught by the drain plug magnet, -just flush the box out thoroughly and I reckon you should be ok....

mikey

i agree when ever i have heard of filings floating about in the oil its just a case of flushing it out. bigger bits are caught by the magnet and what isn't is normally so small it doesn't really cause any damage  :)  ..... hopfully  :p

Mikey.

Danny

Administrator
hmmm I not sure what they are meant to look like......

But I have the uprated cross pin diff in mine :)

RichardG

;D For sure - the pin should be pretty much solid without those nice grooves/ cut outs.

Ordered the cross pin diff from Minispares so hope to start putting it all back together next weekend.

Will flush out the gearbox with petol but there was alot of filings stuck to the sump plus magnet.

Richard