Discs vs Drums

HolyCount

If I used mini front discs at the rear (so not,as such, a conversion, just keeping what was on the front in the first place ---- front wheels now being at the rear!) what would I use for the handbrake ? Simple non-technical answers please -- just to start the train of thought.

Also ---- are the output and drive shafts from a manual gearbox the same as those from an auto?

And ---- are the shafts for a disc brake set up the same as those for a drum set up?

Phaeton

Staff member
HolyCount":g0rprrhn said:
If I used mini front discs at the rear (so not,as such, a conversion, just keeping what was on the front in the first place ---- front wheels now being at the rear!) what would I use for the handbrake ? Simple non-technical answers please -- just to start the train of thought.

Single cable brake caliper on the front wheel

Also ---- are the output and drive shafts from a manual gearbox the same as those from an auto?

No idea

And ---- are the shafts for a disc brake set up the same as those for a drum set up?

Nope definitely different, bigger diameter & the CV is a completlt different type.

Alan...

jason_l

If you decide to go for drums on the back Kev, If the Trike idea does go ahead then drop me a message. Im converting to MK4 Golf discs on the back of mine so will have the drum assembly going spare.

It has the shafts and new drums with spacers, new shoes and all new internals.

Jason :D

esdebe

Alan

The drive shafts for disc and drum are the same, at lest on the later minis, my 1989 one was and I used the shafts that were on the donor (disc) to my sourced drum hubs, but I did have to chave the CV joints.  On older minis I though the only difference was the girth of the shaft (thinner on older minis) but the splined end should be the same size. as the drum CV joints are the same part number regardless of age.

Simon