eBay Freestyle

Phaeton

Staff member

Nice little project for Alan, Freestyle with V5C, just needs putting back together 😃
I have too many things going on currently, I have the Mevster which I am currently fighting to get a ME442 working properly, then the latest project is

20240418_115621.jpg

With a D950 3 cylinder Kubota engine, which I've already got running but the wiring is a mess, the hydraulic tipper isn't working, the clutch is stuck & there are no brakes, but apart from that it's fine, apart from the welding that needs doing

250buggys

Hi Alan, Freestyle just about to finish and doesn't seem to have much interest, 1 bid and not many watchers.

Just needs putting back together and an MOT and that is easily a 3K buggy.

You have a car trailer and all the skills, worth saving I reckon 😃

I paid 800 for mine without a V5C and with inflation must be tripple that now...

We used to see 3 or 4 a year come up on eBay, now almost never. I wonder why it was taken apart?

250buggys

Interesting you have a ME442 that is what I have for my 7 project. All singing, all dancing ECU, some great features.

Phaeton

Staff member
I really just do not have the space (or time), think £700 is not bad for a registered one, but it does need a good chunk of work along with an engine, I did seriously consider it, but like most things it's timing, as usual it's wrong timing. I'm still hankering after building a road going buggy but from scratch that is likely to be the next project, currently I have the Mevster which I'm wanting to supercharge, the Truckster which needs brakes, gearbox, wiring, also breaking the granddaughters pony to harness, & worst of all, still working full time, which is very annoying.

ME442, TBH I'm having lots of issues & partly at the moment regretting buying it, firstly had crank/cam sync problems which turned out to be the pulley on the crank, bit of a lucky break that I swapped it, nothing in the ECU told me it was the issue. Not sure it was caused by the ECU tune but No2 lost compression, now I have a problem with the TPS, it won't remember it's settings, have to keep resetting it on each power on, but then it throws a wobble. First of all thought it was the actual TPS, but swapped that out for another, no change, so figured it was the wiring, completely stripped all the protection off & couldn't see anything. Testing seems to confirm there is no issue with it.

It's a 3 wire system, 5V feed, 0V feed & return signal VariableV, disconnecting the TPS & measuring at the plug, I have 4.85V, good ground to engine, chassis & battery terminal. If I have Meite running I see 0V on the return signal in raw data. If I bridge the feed & the signal return the Meite voltage only goes up to 2.85V. I then bridged the wires at the back of the ECU, the Meite voltage didn't change still 2.85V, but I was getting 4.8V on both the feed & signal return at the TPS plug, with a 0.3Ohm loop between them, so I've convinced myself that the wiring is sound.

I've returned the ME442 to MS for them to test, we'll see if they agree with me, or charge me for a non required test.