Fiat master brake cylinder

willsbuggie

Hi Guys,
I have fitted a Cinquecento (or however you spell it!) master brake cylinder as recommened by others on the forum, but once the servo unit is removed, how is the rod from the pedal held in the cylinder recess??
Thanks for your help.
Mark

Phaeton

Staff member
Mark,

Do you mean you are trying to actually fit a Cinq MC? Normal route is to fit a Mini MC with a Cinq reservoir.

If you look at JayC's for sale post he has a picture HERE

Alan...

willsbuggie

Hi Alan
thanks for clearing that up for me. All makes sense now!
The rebuild is coming on nicely now. Another question, are the bottom arms on the suspension that the tie rod attaches to, standard mini? because the rubbers I ordered are much too small.
Cheers
Mark

Phaeton

Staff member
Are we on about the fronts here? I have tended to put adjustables on the back & standards on the front, other have put adjustables all round. But realistically all the rubbers should be the same.

Alan...

esdebe

if you are saying they are small ( in length ) you may find you actually need two on each arms, pushing one in from each side, if they are too small in diameter then you have something different.  if the middle hole is two small then it could mean that the wiggle pin has still got the remains of the metal inner from a previous bush on it, this is a common problem as they corrode together, grip them with some mole grips and hold the pin in a vice and you will soon free them up.

Simon

willsbuggie

Thanks for your help guys. It is the front I'm talking about and its the diameter thats the problem. I had to grind the bolts off to get it all apart, and it didn't appear to be a wiggle bolt (I've seen them on Mini Spares website), it was just a large bolt, about 10mm'ish. 4 'half rubbers' arrived but they are nowhere near large enough diameter.
I can't attach a photo as the file is 960KB!
It fits between the front lower frame and is the lower pivot point for the whole hub assembly - any ideas?

Thanks again chaps
Mark

Phaeton

Staff member
Mark, Is it the top hats you're on about? they go in from either side of the large round hole at the end of the bottom arm? Like THESE The hole through the middle is 1/2" needs to be the 1/2" otherwise you end up with play in the suspensiom.

As for pictures, create a www.photobucket.com account & post the link.

Alan...

willsbuggie

Hi Alan, they could be the kiddies. 1/2" bore sounds more like it. My lower suspension arms aren't like the ones on Mini Spares which are cast, mine are tube-like, about 1" OD. I'll check the dia's before I order this time.
Did you manage to post off a copy CD for me yet? it would be a great help if you could.
Update: Frame sand blasted and sprayed. New floor is in. Both master cylinders fitted. gearbox mod for reverse switch done. New front springs fitted. New front bearings in and rebuilt + calipers. All painted and ready to go on once I've sorted these bushes. Rebored and rebuilt 1380cc engine should have been here by now! Getting exciting! Acewell dash arrived yesterday.
thanks for your help
Mark

willsbuggie

Alan, they look more like it although I haven't got a nut half way along. I'll have a go at photobucket anyway!Cheers for the links.
Mark

Asbo

esdebe":1mpschpy said:
if you are saying they are small ( in length ) you may find you actually need two on each arms, pushing one in from each side, if they are too small in diameter then you have something different.  if the middle hole is two small then it could mean that the wiggle pin has still got the remains of the metal inner from a previous bush on it, this is a common problem as they corrode together, grip them with some mole grips and hold the pin in a vice and you will soon free them up.

Simon

if theres going to be any awards dished out for this years muddybuggy posts of the year award.....i'd like to nominate simon for his use of the word 'wiggle pin'. new to me,but i'm sure it'll crop up in the 'fault logged' section of a lot of my job sheets from now on. i may also extend its use to include gearboxes,dashboard switches and that old favourite,'cut out~wont start'. must dash,just had a call from whipsnade.....anyone got an oversized landing net?lol. max,gonny post an ebay link to chest waders,size 10,under a score? (thats twenty english)

Phaeton

Staff member
Anyone recognise these bottom arms?

DSC02134.jpg

DSC02135.jpg

Alan...

esdebe

Those bottom arms look like a custom job...  does the diameter of that hole look like it is the same size tubing that was used on the arms that lock the rear stearing in place?  I know that they also have a 1/2 inch bolt running through them and they are probably a similar length..  What I don't know is what production car they are from but maybe someone else can dig up that information is you can confirm that they are a similar size (diameter and length).

wurzell

I have a vague recollection that the Bushes used in the Rear Tie Rods (used to "lock" and stop the rear end from steering) are originally Ford items, Cortina I believe...They fit on 1/2" sized bolts.
I would'nt recommend their fitment, front or rear, as being a "one piece Bush", they are evil to fit, and only seem to last a very short time...
If your planning to use these or a similar type Bush  in your FRONT bottom arms, I would suggest using a two piece, split type bush with a stainless centre as available from any supplier of "Superflex" Bushes.
These are available in a wide range of sizes, and are Polyurethane, rather than soft rubber, so fit easier and last much longer.
You can hack the stainless inner down to size with a thin cutting disc.
Try "Demon Tweeks", Fleabay, etc....... :)

willsbuggie

Thanks very much for your help with this problem guys. I have tried a couple of sets of the two piece split type, which were too small, despite them measuring them for me! I'll get on to Demon Tweeks and order some Superflex ones as suggested by Wurzel - thanks.
Once I have these the whole front suspension is ready to go back on - progress at last!
Cheers
Mark

Phaeton

Staff member
Mark,

You may find it's the bottom arms you have to change. Is the rear built yet? can you compare the bushes on the back, otherwise I can see you just buying loads of bushes that don't fit.

Alan...