Front suspension

Paul

I am just in the process of setting up my front suspension. I have minisport adjustable tie bars and bottom arms. With the tie bars set to the same length as standard ones and the bottom arms adjusted right in to their shortest setting i still have in the region of 4-5 degrees negative camber. Also with the wheels in the straight ahead position the track rod ends only just meet the threaded portion of the steering rack. This is with the so called longers rod ends also from mini sport.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas on what is wrong? :?

RichardG

Paul,

Yes I think we had similar problem . From memory the adjustable bottom arms are designed to increase negative camber on the Mini but for the Freestyle we are using them to do the opposite so I think we had to shorten the threaded bar to allow more inward adjustment. Reducing the negative camber then brings the track rod end closer to the steering rack.

Try searching the old forum as I am sure this topic came up before.

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
I had standard arms on the front of mine & never bothered with adjustables I thought the camber was okay. But did have to use a different set of track rod ends, I can't remember what they were though, either Triumph Herald or Ford Cortina erring towards the Triumph.It was Jerry that put me on to them, but it was a post on the old forum that's not available anymore.

Alan...

Paul

Thanks for that i will have a play with the arms and get to the local auto factors to see if i can measure some rod ends.

MattBlack

Everyones buggy seem to end up with slightly different geometery. As I recall the long track rod ends are a must, but the bottom arm you use will also make a big difference.

On the front I used the adjustable one with a single locking nut

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?pid=38463

Even at it's shortest length, I still had to cut the body down by about 10mm to get the wheels stood upright.

Trial and error will get you there.

Paul

I have used the adjustable arms used by Matt and cut them down by 20mm. I have also fitted the longer rod ends but still feel that ideally they could do with winding on a few more threads. My local auto shop is trying out different Triumph ones at the moment to see if we can find anything slightly longer.
At least now the wheels are at a more appropriate angle and point in the right general direction.
Will let you know how i get on. :roll:

esdebe

I used the adjustable front and rear, on teh front I had to trim 10mm of both threaded sections to allow for the correct camber setting.

Simon