Fuel Tank and plumbing

Danny

Administrator
Hello My fuel tank arrived today, thanks biddle.

The good news is that I fit in with it and my seats bolt in the same holes...thank fully.

The down side is that when it was made the outlet pipe on the passenger side cashes with the alternater so I phone steve up and we discussed.... looks like I will get away with it witha bit of modifying. not much of an issue really.

The next thing I am looking at is using the existing fire extinguisher as a reserve tank so how would you plumb it in? cheapest way poss. BUt needs to be relatively easy to switch over to it.

currently the behind the seat tank has 2 x outlets (pulling fuel from either side of the tank. I will join these up with a T peice but how can I incorp the fire extinguisher?

Cheers

Danny
Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
Easiest way would be to have an electrical fuel solenoid valve on the fire extinguisher in the normally closed position. When the buggy starts to cough & splutter as it's about to run out, you switch on the valve & it lets fuel through. I had 2 on Mary, I have an email address for the guy I bought them off. I'll send him an email as I could do with one as well, I think they were around £8 each.

In fact these are the same ones, but I'nm sure they weren't as expensive as this KERLICK

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
you see I was thinking that.... but when I switch it over the pump will still be trying to pump air out of the other tank will that matter?

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
Well again you could get a changeover one. MattBlacck's got one not sure where he got it from though. Is the bottom of the extinguisher higher or lower than the bottom of the tank?

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
The bottom of the fire tank is half way down the new tank.

Also there are 2 x pick ups off the new tank.

Change over hmmmm

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
Once the valve is open & allows fuel to come from the extinguisher any fuel which is more then the carb requires will slowly syphon back into the main tank stopping it puling air. I'd be tempted to put the extinguisher feed in between main tank & pump so you get the following

Both full car runs okay
Main empty car splutters
Open valve car runs okay, fuel syphons from extinguisher to main
Extinguisher empty car splutters
Shut valve car runs okay
Main tank empty, car splutters, car stops, Danny curses & gets out & pushes.

Alan...