Fuel tank plumbing

Skirrow

So, another summer is here and I'm tempted to maybe do another job on the buggy...

Can anyone tell me what to do with my fire extinguisher to turn it into a tank? I've got it in place but just need to know how to plumb it in.

I was thinking of drilling a hole near the bottom of the tank and welding in the outlet tube from the original mini tank. I then have a flexible fuel pipe (rubber thing with a kind of material covering on it) That tube runs across the engine bay to the fuel pump.

Does that sound right? The mini tank had other tubes which looked like some kind of venting or a return pipe or something. Do I need this?

Is he rubber tubing safe? IVA friendly? Or should I have metal pipes?

Any other points and help appreciated!

Phaeton

Staff member
Just made sure that the pipe has either correct BSI number (no idea what it it is) or is marked Fuel Pipe.

Alan...

esdebe

You can either weld a small out let to the bottom or put a long pipe in from the top to syphon the fule out.  You don't need any other breather pipes if you can find a vented fuel cap.

Skirrow

Cheers guys!

Think I'll try the top way, that will mean that my welding doesn't have to be quite as watertight around the outlet...

What are people using for the pipe that goes down into the tank? Does it have to be metal or can it be something else? Brake pipe any good?

Phaeton

Staff member
I've used brake pipe on mine, with a bit of rubber fuel pipe then a tank connector to get it through the tank, but mines on a behind the seat one. But I gave an extinguisher to Collie (Alex) I think & that had a piece of brake pipe through a hole in the top of the tank down to very near the bottom that I used that metal putty to fix in place, can't find a picture at the moment.

Alan...

Skirrow

Cheers Alan, that sounds a lot easier than trying to weld a little tiny thing at the bottom. Plus I probably have everything to do it in the garage which is always a bonus...