Fuelling issues

Danny

Administrator
Hello All,

Right so I have got my buggy back running but its still got a fuelling issue which hopefully will be resolved tomorrow.

Basically I thought the tank behind the seats was not breathing well enough so I found a filler cap and drilled a big hole in it and then went for a test drive and the car splutters and dies.

However if I switch tanks it runs fine... si its to do with the tank.

So after thinking about it I figured that the standard fuel pumb just does not have the grunt to lift the fuel effectively to the carb so what I plan on doing is putting the eleccy fuel pump before the manual fuel pumb which should lift the fuel nicely to the pump and cure any problems.

I am also looking at wiring it in to a switch so I dont have to have it on all the time and when I dont need it ie using teh fire extinguisher tank.

I also have to look at getting my roofbox fitted this week ready for Newark

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
My 2p's worth, not sure it's the fuel pumps fault, unless of course it's worn, if you think of a standard Mini it has to pump the fuel a good distance tank to carb & the fuel tank is pretty much in the same plane. But fitting an electric will prove that one way or another, but if you are fitting an electric, why bother with the mechanical, I'd just bypass it completely. Wire it into you ignition circuit so it comes on & stays on even when cranking, then Bob's your uncle Fanny's your aunt & if it still doesn't work look for something else.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

What kind of cam have you got in it danny? I know you have a reasonably tweeked engine and so if your cam is more than metro duration (266) it is silly to be running the mechanical fuel pump get a nice electric one and pop a blanking plate over the mechanical one's hole. Could be the reason but obviously if you put an electric pump on and you still have the same problem than maybe its not the pump that's the problem. Do you think you squashed your fuel lines at all on the behind the seats trank because simon thought he'd run out of fuel at stoneleigh untill he looked at his squashed fuel line, just doesn't make sense why one works particularly better than the other.
Max

Danny

Administrator
Hello,

Its a new mechanical fuel pump...

I am running a 276 cam

Fuel lines are fine... on tick over its ok and runs well but when I get it some right foot it then splutters....

I like mechanical fuel pump and it has proved to handle it from the fire extinguisher so I think it just needs some help getting the fuel from teh other tank....

We shall see

Danny

Mini Mad Max

276 could really do with an electrical pump, you may see an improvement :D What about any crap blocking just one because i know you have to have two with a behind the seats tank because of the handbrake tunnel.... it could be that one is blocked or affected and the other isn't so you still get an adequate amount of fuel for normal driving but then when you do some danny driving then it suddenly has trouble getting juice :D
By the way, what kinda power are you getting?  ;D

Mini Mad Max

Dad seemed to reckon mechanical fuel pump would cause fuel starvation at top end of revs on anything bigger than 276... also he reckons it could be a carb needle problem, but i said i thought you had it set up on a rolling road. Does it seem to run out of power much at all at the top end because my dad's old 1380 min had a 276 cam and he reckoned a single 1 3/4 su was just slightly too small at the top end and the cam would've benefitted twin 1 1/2 su carbs.
Max

Danny

Administrator
I have not had it set up on a rolling road yet..... I am saving the pennies at the moment

It runs fine when I am using the fire extinguisher tank though so I am not sure its a problem with the needle

When we see my friend steve in wales I will ask him to set it up as he is old school and he always made my buggy rapid..

Danny

Mini Mad Max

Sweet! You should be making a fair bit of oomph with a 1 3/4 carb, hi lift rockers, 276 cam and that exhaust of yours! Let us know how much power you get when you  get it on the rolling road :D

Danny

Administrator
Well today I finally came to the bottom of my fuelling trouble.

I fitted the eleccy fuel pump and it was still only just sucking fuel so I picked my brain and a few phone calls to my uncle and I decided it must be sucking in air from someware so I decided to pull the hose of and suck and after a couple of mouthfuels of fuel I discover there is a little hole on teh outlet of the behind teh seats tank.... so I bung the hose up with a bolt and plug the pump back in and with that blocked off the pump sucked a rake load of fuel in so I now know its the hole in teh outlet.

So I decided it was atank out job and and it needed welding up..... oh boy! Helath and safety should not read on.......

I drain teh tank and fill it with water and decided that an eleccy mig welder and a tank of water was not wise so drained teh water and then as my uncle suggested set light to the tank with a match....

I did this and I burnt the vapors then I thought hang on lets take out the fuel sender to save getting that too hot.

Now the tank has a huge hole in it and I light the vapours by the filler kneck then 10 feet of flames lick past my legs and sending me backwards... some strong lanuage was used and I decided it was time to move the tank away from all teh spare fuel in jerry cans and the 3 cars parked near.

ANyway after 10 mins of lighting and putting out I finally struggled to get it to light and thought wahey its time to weld... I laid teh tank on its side and though hmmmm just one more light and and then I will be happy.... holy shit it was like a rocket burning my hands and singing my eyebrows and sent me flying I rush to get some water on my hands and decide that I will leave the tank for today....

My thumb has a big arse blister on it and tomorrow I am taking teh tank to my uncle who will use OXY to weld it up...

So todays lesson leave petrol alone

Danny

hmalan

Danny,

My job title is "Head of Safety"

Very amusing read, I am just glad I wasn't reading it on an official report at work

Alan