Gear change problem

RichardG

I seem to have developed an intermittment gear change problem.

I originally thought it was excessive play in the gear rods/linkage but that had been sorted last weekend.

Test drove the buggy several times in the week and all was OK.

Arrived at Wye valley trial this morning after an early start - all was OK.

Lots of stop / start while queing for scruteneering - all was OK

Then all of a sudden I can't get any forward gears. Can still get reverse but no forward gears.

Have to admit I am baffled as with the engine switched off I can select all gears no problems. But start the engine and can't get any other than reverse.

I am guessing something in the gearbox is broke and I am going to have to strip the engine again. DOH :'(

Any ideas what it might be that afeects both first/second and thrird/fourth?

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry Richard I don't, never played with a gearbox other than to put a centre pick-up in. What happens if you put it into a forward gear, depress the clutch & try to start it, does it let you? if it does what happens if you let out the clutch?

Alan...

RichardG

If I put it in gear, depress the clutch then start the engine I can pull away OK so the clutch is working fine. Having pulled away though I can sometimes get second and third etc but most of the time just can't get another gear.

I am assuming it must be a problem with the baulk rings / synchro wotsit gubins - at this point I have no idea what I am talking about.

Pretty sure its engine out again - oh well its all part of the fun  ;D ;D ;D

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
RichardG":39fokyb3 said:
at this point I have no idea what I am talking about.
Richard
I'm with you on that one, I have no knowledge, some say about anything  :D

It might be worth nipping over to the children's forum TMF there are a few knowledgeable people on there, IF you can get away from the "how fast does it go mister" brigade, but then again it might just be me just being an old fart & intolerant of the youngsters. There is a guy called Guesswork's who makes a living out of rebuilding Mini gearbox's he may have an answer for you, also it might be worth trying to double clutch the changes to see you can select a gear that way. But I'm with you thinking syncro has gone, if it can on all gears at once.

Alan...

RichardG

Think I fixed it - replaced the top and bottom clevis pins on the clutch arm as well as the slave cylinder push rod. Seems to be OK now.

There is no syncro mesh on reverse gear so if the reverse gear grinds when you try to select it is a sure sign of clutch drag i.e. the clutch no fully disengaging when the pedal is fully depressed. The clevis pins and push rod are dead cheap and easy to replace. It is a common problem especially if you have fitted a new clutch friction disc.

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
Good to know it was a simple fix & cheapish fix, I felt mine slip a little on Sunday so hopefully not the start of problems.

Alan...