Gear selector rod and peripherals - Fitting

collie

I spent a bit of undocumented time in the garage yesterday and was trial fitting the Gear change rod and selector.
First of all, how do you manage for clearance, mine was rubing on the chassis and the sump (although i've not cut the gear rod to any length as it says in the build manual?
Also, the build manual states making provision for fixing a gear rod stay on the rear chassis rail?
Is this a red herring or have I missed something?

Phaeton

Staff member
Alex, Never fitted a rear steady, I think Simon talked about doing one, but don't think he ever got round to it. Most seem to foul slightly on the front of the sump/gearbox casing, a little gentle modification with a hammer usually sorts the offending fins out.

Alan...

collie

Phaeton":1topf55x said:
a little gentle modification with a hammer

OK cool, I'll bear that in mind, btw I've seen your Gentle modifications! :p

I'm going to fit the top steady once I get the correct bolts and try again, do I need to cut down the gear selector gear rod?

Phaeton

Staff member
I don't think you do, I put plenty of grease into the last one, but was still a twat to get back out the other day.

Alan...

collie

Phaeton":396er0lh said:
I don't think you do, I put plenty of grease into the last one, but was still a twat to get back out the other day.

Alan...

:D All part of the "joy" I'm sure! I'll keep you updated as to my progress and will call round soon regarding the kind use of that bench drill ;) Cheers!