Gear Seletor Question

Smart1275GT

How do you reverse the gate and what's the best setup at the gearbox end to reverse the rod direction - I'm talking about making a bracket. Anyone got one or a drawing?

esdebe

Reversing the gate depends on how you mount the gar selector...
1st option is to turn the selector arround, so the long rod comes out the back, if this is the case remove teh scresw from the plate on the bottom , and turn it round 180 degresss and put ti back on, job done.

Newer chassis will take the gear selector to fit the same way as it was in the mini, in this case you need to take the plate of the bottom, and knock out the two split ins holding the long rod and short rod in place, and swap these over, then put the plate back on in its original position.

Simon

Smart1275GT

Still a bit confused?

I've got a Metro seletor road (same as Mini). I took out the gear stick and have seen the two pins, one is longer and is the lift part of the box. So if I swap over these roll pins, it will work? I know I've got to remove the fixed rod.

Cheers

Ps Some diagrams would be useful on here, perhaps a "how to" section?

Phaeton

Staff member
Okay well assuming that the selector box IS the same as a Mini. You should have a long rod coming out of the front & a small rod coming out of the rear. This is when you are looking at the unit as though you are in the drivers seat, you will also have the reverse lights switch on the drivers side.

Take out the gear stick (which it sounds like you have) turn the whole thing over & remove the 4 screws which hold the plate on. Remember which way round this faces as it needs to go back on the same way. So maybe mark the casing & mark the plate.

Remove the roll pin from the long rod & then remove the bar, repeat the process on the small rod. Once the small rod has been removed push it back into where the long rod has come from & replace the roll pin. Once complete push the long rod back into where the short rod has come from & replace the roll pin. Put the bottom plate back on, taking care to get it the correct way round, replace gear stick.

Job complete, you should now have 4 forward gears where they should be (standard H pattern) & a reverse at the side of 4th after a lift.

Sorry no pictures.

Alan..

Smart1275GT

Thanks for the info, got it now. Having removed the base plate, while hammering out the roll pin, I broke the diecast stick socket!!! Not a happy bunny and will have to source another one from a cold and wet breakers yard.

RichardG

We had the same problem - when knocking out the roll pins, the casting broke. We ended up fabricating a replacement out of steel.

Richard

RichardG

I wish I could but my dad, who is the engineer, has just retired so we don't have access to all the nice machines and materials at the factory he where used to work. :(

Smart1275GT

Don't worry, just won one on Ebay, a refurbished Mini rod chage complete. I needed some extra rods anyway.

I'll try not to break this one!!

Smart1275GT

Got round the issue by not removing the selector stick socket and just turned the base plat and stick around. Problem was the reverse light switch, but have made a bracket outside of the box and only contacts the base of the gear stick when in reverse gear.

Got a nice tight stick now anyway! The old one was really loose.

BTW. The Metro rods are about three inches longer than a Mini one. Something to consider?