gear stick 180% trick

CAW

Hi, Still finding things out, so is it easy to do, Is there any write up's of this mod or any write up's of any mods anywhere.

Not knocking the site, but some of the 4x4 sites I go on have " how to " sections ........which make good reading at least 8)

Thanks for any info

Andy

Danny

Administrator
NOt sure I know what trick you mean?

The whole site is how to :) we have put the forum in sections so you should be able to see in those sections :)

CAW

I hav'nt got the fake one yet, It's a 100 miles away so must confess to not knowing what's what with It. So what do you need to do to reverse the gear set up in the box with the gear stick in. Will a load of bits fall out :eek:

not sure if that sounds any better

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy,

Have you got any of it yet? The gear stick & shifter box, tbh if you haven't then we're going to be explaining it till we're blue in the face, sorry bud but you're not going to get it. You need to have it in yer mitts to see what we mean. But a 10 year old could do it so don't worry.

Alan...

CAW

Hi Alan,

No mate,  ;D It's down at Baloo's just waiting till he can find time to sort it for me, as a off chance I pm'd boger123 to see if he'd had done the mod.

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy honestly it's a piece of piss, you undo four screws, making as note of which way the plate fits, knock out 2 roll pins, remove 2 rods, replace 2 rods opposite way round, replace roll pins & screw plate back on.

Worst thing about it is normally that it has 30 year old grease in there that gets everywhere.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
CAW.... If I can put a freestyle together.... anybody can :)

Its easy! I have not done the mod I have done it a different way :) I have just made a braket using a threaded bar

CAW

Thanks guys,

Wait till I want to know about the petrol tank ;D and the pump.

Cheers

Andy

esdebe

Danny you would have to ave turned the bottom plate around 180 degrees instead then to make sure that the reverse gate is on the correct side...

So there are two different tricks

1) Keep the gear change pointing in the direction it was intended: This requires you to remove the plate on the bottom, and knock out the two pins, swap the short and long rods over so the long rod now sticks out of the back and put the plate back on the same way it was when you took it off.

2) Turn the gear change round so that the long rod point to the rear of the car: this then means that the reverse gate is on the wrong side so you need to take the plate off the bottom and turn it round 180 degrees and put it back on.

Depending on the chassis you will find that the mounting place for the gear change will be set up for one method or the other.  Most would be set up for option 2 with the mount holes placed near to the foot well end of the center channel.  Some people modified this to make mount point further down the center channel.

Most people also brace the gear change using the original steady bolt hole to the handbrake if using option 2.  If using option 1 then a small plate is welded or bolted to the box section between the foot well and the centre channel and this is bolted to the place that the original steady would have been.

CAW

Hi esdebe,

Thanks for the options, I'm not in possession of the buggy yet, so dont know which way will suit it.

Andy

Danny

Administrator
I have the old version... reverse is where it should be but I knocked the bin out and turned the gear stick round :)

Buggybloke

??? now I am really puzzled by this, as I'd like to fit a reverse light switch, but there doesn't seem to be any holes for it to go in... the gear change lever on my Blitz is a standard Mini one, but I'm not sure which of the two methods has been used....