Handbrake Cable

hmalan

I have been having problems getting my handbrake to work and after looking at Alan's (Phaeton), it appears that whilst his is a standard Fiat Panda cable mine is off of a Fiat Panda 4X4.

The differance is that the 4X4 cable has a much stronger spring on it and to get it to work I have ended up having to cut about half the spring away, so if anyone is getting a new cable make sure you get the standard Panda one.

Alan T.

hmalan

Simon,

I don't know what cable you had but Alan (Phaeton's) cable has a completely differant spring on to mine, the coils are much wider when in their nornmal state, and did not need cutting. Mine is off of a 4X4 and definately did need cutting.

I had already discussed this with Dave and during the conversation we agreed that I would post a note on hear about it.

Alan

esdebe

I've probably got it wrong, but I ordered a cable from E-bay that was listed as a Panda NON 4x4 cable and I had to cut its springs too. The original cable I got from dave (I don't know what type of cable it was) but I had to cut its springs I replaced as I over bent it at some point and it wouldnt run smoothly trough the outer cover.

Eitherway, if the springs are too long / strong they may need cutting, but this shouldn't be too much of an issue for anyone.

hmalan

You're right in that at the end of the day each individual may have to adapt the cable they have to best suit their own individual set up.

It is probably just easier if you can, as in Alan's case, fit a cable without having to modify it.

Perhaps I was too over cautious but I didn't want to cut too much out and so did it in a series of cuts which just meant more work which is why the post about going for the non 4X4 cable if you can

Regards

Alan T

esdebe

I agree, I only knew that I needed to take half of it off beacause it was teh second time I was doing it, the first time I did it bit by bit.

I bought my first cable from Dave, so really he should be supplying ones that fit ;)