headlight position?????

jason_l

Right, bit of a wierd one this.

Been looking at the regs for IVA and it states that the headlights must be no more than 400mm from the side of the vehicle. Problem i have is that the rear of mine is alot wider than the front. My mate reckons they will measure it from where the lights are fitted and so would be fine. I reckon they may take the overall width of the car meaning they need to stick out further???

Think i may need to fire off an email to them, anyone have contact details for someone i can get an answer from?

Thanks,

Jason :)

ChaosMS

Jason,

I asked the very same question of the man from Vosa!! here is the meat of his answer (Note vrsion number of the regs hes talking about is 6.01 - but I am sure this has not changed)-

Lamp position is covered under section 20 (Installation of lamps) of the
IVA manual. The current version is 6.01 which was issued on 09/05/2011. I
have attached a link to this below:

https://online.businesslink.gov.uk/Tran ... n_0511.pdf

A dipped beam headlamp minimum height is measured from the floor, to the
apparent trace of the beam cut-off on the lens. If this point can not be
determined then it will be to the lower edge of the illuminated area
(reflector). This dimension is a minimum of 500mm. The maximum height is
1200mm.

The headlamp lateral position is measured from the extreme outer edge of
the vehicle (normally the rear wheel arch on a kit car) to the edge of the
illuminated area, nearest that side of the vehicle.

Which basically is why my headlamps are on long arms!! granted the width on mine is the same front to back unlike yours which is wider at the back.

the email address is :- [email protected] You will get through to a very helpful chap by the name of Mark Vickers who is the ONLY Technical Officer responding to IVA queries currently (or so he told me last time anyway)

Hope that helps

Rich

jason_l

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply. If they are taking the rear wheel width as the overall width of the kitcar then i guess i will need some stalks then. That email has pretty much confirmed i will need them on stalks!

Problem is i don't think that stalks suit the look of the buggy but if thats what they want i literally have no choice, still going to create the brackets in the position i want them and then create some stalks to bring them out further for IVA me thinks. If i really don't like the stalks then i will have to look at options after IVA, if they are not too bad i will probably just leave them.

Jason :D