Keeping the old registration plate

Mini Mad Max

I have been looking to "retain" the number plate on my current mini so i can put it on my buggy. I have stumbled over a few problems though:

1.the car needs to be taxed or you can apply to retain it no longer than 12 months after the tax runs out. It's been sorn for a long time, the previous owner had it sorn before me for a few years.

2.the car needs to be available for inspection. It's completely stripped sitting on my drive way.

3.It costs £105. I don't have that money to throw away at the moment, it's going into mechanicals for the buggy.

What have other people done, have everyone else used a 'Q' plate?
Is there anything else i can do to keep the original number plate?
thanx,
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
You need to forget using the original registration number really, unless as you say you can MOT, Tax & have available for inspection (last bit very very unlikely) the existing Mini. There are illegal ways round it, if you are so desperate to have that particular number, having a ringer springs to mind. However do you mean you want THAT registration or do you mean you want another registration based on your Mini's age i.e. A, B, C etc. & not a Q plate?

Alan...

HolyCount

Phaeton":xdo41q9f said:
You need to forget using the original registration number really, unless as you say you can MOT, Tax & have available for inspection (last bit very very unlikely) the existing Mini. There are illegal ways round it, if you are so desperate to have that particular number, having a ringer springs to mind. However do you mean you want THAT registration or do you mean you want another registration based on your Mini's age i.e. A, B, C etc. & not a Q plate?

Alan...

Registration plates apart -- hang on to the old minis details as you will need to show the age of the engine for SVA testing (if I have read it correctly). Q plates aren't really a problem on something as different as the buggy --- thinks they really fell out of favour on the replica kits as not being "authentic".  Some insurance comapnies don't like them either --- but most do.

Phaeton

Staff member
Oh yes, keep hold of the V5C it's worth it's weight in gold. Have to agree on the Q on a buggy it doesn't matter, but must admit I prefer an age related plate & will be going for one.

Ala
n...

HolyCount

Phaeton":3jrhj3mz said:
Oh yes, keep hold of the V5C it's worth it's weight in gold. Have to agree on the Q on a buggy it doesn't matter, but must admit I prefer an age related plate & will be going for one.

Ala
n...

What criteria do they use to issue an age related plate, Alan ?

Phaeton

Staff member
It's a bit difficult to give you a definitive answer as each local DVLA office seem to have their own interpretation of the rules. You have to have the V5C & claim when you go to register it that the majority of the parts came from that car.

Realistically the only thing they can check with any certainty is the engine number is the one on the V5C, other than that they have to take your word for it. You must remember these people are pencil pushers & know very little about cars or mechanical things for that matter. They even asked me if any of the suspension parts had serial numbers on them that they could check against the old car, where they thought they were listed I have no idea. When they did inspect it, they looked at the engine number & checked it had 4 wheels that was about it apart from the stupid questions.

It took me 7 days & 3 visits to get the paperwork for the plates, took MattBlack a lot longer & he had to visit 5 or 6 times & in the end went to Sheffield instead of Leeds as they said it would be another 6 weeks before it could be done.Sheffield weren't happy having to deal with it & said as much, but did it anyway.

On the other hand Hmalan was given an option age related plate 3-4 weeks including having to bring the car for inspection, or 45 minutes if he wanted a Q plate, came ut with the paperwork 30 minutes later.

Alan....

Mini Mad Max

I'll do that then because im using the 1330cc engine from my mini with a different head on until i get it SVAd and get more money to make a better engine.
That seems sooooo much easier.
Thanks guys!
Max

Mini Mad Max

I've just found out that because when my engine got bored and the top milled, there is no longer an engine number.
  It seems strange to ask, but does anyone have some letter and number punches so i could replicate the old one that i could possibly borrow, I would pay for postage.
Otherwise i will have to settle for a Q plate. The registration plate im hoping to use ends in "ahh" the noise you will be screaming as you plant your foot flat to the floor-LOL!
Thanks,
Max